ALLOWNDE-L Archives

Archiver > ALLOWNDE > 2010-05 > 1273766815


From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [ALLOWNDE] Dicksonia Plantation
Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 16:06:55 -0000


This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.

Author: CGolowka
Surnames: Dickson, White, Turner, Tyson, and McCurdy
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.alabama.counties.lowndes/696.2.1.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

According to Lowndesboro's Picturesque Legacies, compiled by the Lowndesboro Heritage Society, 1994:

"Dicksonia Plantation
White-Turner-Tyson-Dickson House
1830

Dicksonia was built by David White in 1830. It was a two storied house with a small one-story portico in front.

In 1856, the house belongede to the Wiley Turner family. Mr. Turner hired the architect Nunely to remodel the house. The front porch was removed and a two storied portico extending around two sides of the house was added, supported by twelve fluted Doric columns. Elaborate cornice brackets met at the roof line. Banisters of intricate design framed the porticoes. The front door had sidelights and an overhead transom. An upstairs door, also with sidelights, opened on to a wrought iron grill balcony directly over the front door. A side upstairs balcony of wooden banisters adorned the west side of the house. A central hall ran the length of the house, where a staircase led to the second floor. The newel post and staircase rail were mahogany. Sometime before 1900, the separate kitchen was added to the house proper. Water at that time was supplied by a windmill.

Shem Arthur Tyson and his wife Mary (Toler) Tyson bought the house and land, known as the "Turner Home Track," from the Wiley Turner family. On November 29, 1901, the house and 400 acres of land was sold to Robert Stiles Dickson.

The home burned in 1939 and was rebuilt the next year. The second Dicksonia had the same floor plan as the first, but with only one porch, which extended across the front of the house with six fluted Doric columns. The second house burned in 1964."

Also, the McCurdys raise McCurdy Plantation horses. They are a Tennessee Walking horse and you can read about them at:
http://www.mccurdyhorses.com/themccurdyplantationhorse.htm

Important Note:
The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you would like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above and respond on the board.




This thread: