AUS-SAGEN-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-SAGEN > 2008-07 > 1217510976

From: Alan <>
Subject: [AUS-SAGEN] extracts "The History of South Australia" part 9
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:29:36 +1000
References: <>
In-Reply-To: <>

posting part 9 of the extracts

this commences from page 240 to 259

includes details of
first fatal train accident and
W.G.Grace's All England cricket team played twenty-two members of the
South Australian Cricketing Association at Adelaide. The English team
won by thirty-six runs.

Alan Hall




providing for the granting of bonuses in
granting certain cases was carried through Committee of the Assembly,
its object being to encourage the application of time, labour, skill,
and capital to the introduction of new industries likely to become a
fresh source of profit to the community in the future.
Oct. 21.—Telegraphic communication between Australia and Great Britain
restored by the repair of the cable between Java and Port Darwin.
23.—Sunday School Teachers' Union inaugurated. 30.—Return of Mr. C. Todd
from his trip across the continent.
November.—Intimation received that Sir James Fergusson had been
appointed to the Government of New Zealand.
.—Bonuses of £2000 voted by Parliament for the first 1000 tons of fibre
manufactured from the black flag, £2000 for the first 250 tons of paper,
and £200 for the first 2000 gallons of olive oil produced in the colony.
.—A meeting held to establish a Blind and Deaf and Dumb Asylum.
Subscriptions to the amount of £2362 collected privately by Mr.
Townsend, M.P. The Government agreed to supplement by an equal amount
all funds so raised.
.—Mr. Ernest Giles returned to Adelaide, being unable to cross to
Western Australia as desired by Baron von Mueller.
.—The steamer Providence blown to pieces on the Darling by the bursting
of the boiler. Captain and four men killed.
15.—Great demonstration in honour of Mr. C. Todd on completion of
overland telegraph. Also banquets in London and Sydney on same day.
27.—Grasshoppers devastated large areas of country


in South Australia, and also in Riverina, New South Wales.
Dec. 2.—Banquet to Sir James Fergusson, Bart., prior to his leaving the
5.—Sir James Fergusson left South Australia for New Zealand.
7.—Sir Richard Hanson sworn in as Administrator of the Government.


December.—Towards end of year reports of rich gold-reefs in the Northern
Territory led to the formation of several prospecting and gold mining
companies in Adelaide and elsewhere. A speculative mania, fostered by
telegrams by the new overland route, caused serious losses.
.—The local banks decided to close on Saturdays at noon instead of one
18.—Branch telegraph opened from Beltana to Blinman.
21.—Foundation-stone of St. John's Church, Coromandel Valley, laid by
Miss Richman.
24.—Furnaces of the Provincial Gas Company at Thebarton lighted for the
purpose of supplying Adelaide with additional gas supply. The South
Australian Gas Company not having now a monopoly, cheap gas was obtained.


Jan. 15.—John King, the explorer, celebrated in connection with the
Burke and Wills expedition.
Mr. James Andrew Buchan, J.P., manager of the Bank at Gawler.
29.—Suddenly, Captain Ray Boucaut, an old and much-respected colonist,
whose son, the Hon. J. P. Boucaut, became one of the


leading members of the Government and afterwards a Judge.
March 1.—At Willunga, aged 56, the Right Rev. L. B. Shiel, D.D. (Roman
Catholic). "He introduced into South Australia eighteen priests and
seven nuns, built sixteen churches and five schoolhouses, established
St. Francis Xavier's Hall and St. Francis Xavier's College, and the
Dominican Convent, Orphanage, Female Refuge, and other institutions."
April 13.—Suddenly, Mr. E. M. Meyer, secretary of the Chamber of
Commerce, and commercial reporter of the Register.
Suddenly, Mr. J.Bottomley, well known throughout the southern districts.
26.—At Mitcham, the Rev. Ralph Drummond, first minister of the United
Presbyterian Church in South Australia, aged 80.
May 18.—At Morialta, aged 58, Mr. John Baker, one of the pioneers of
South Australia, and for many years a member of the Legislature. Being a
man of exceptional ability he exercised great influence in all public
July.—Mr. Oscar Lines, who arrived in 1836. A well-known exhibitor at
agricultural and horticultural shows.
16.—At Glenelg, Lady Daly, widow of Sir Dominick Daly, seventh Governor
of South Australia, aged 71.
21.—At Hindmarsh, Mr. G. Shearing, a colonist and resident in Hindmarsh
for thirty-three years.
Aug. 24.—Mr. James Brook, of the legal firm of Messrs. Way and Brook.
Oct. 6.—The Rev. J. N. Hinterocker, of St. Ignatius Church, Norwood,
aged 53.
16.—At Nuccaleena, Mr. W. D. Kekwick, a member of the Government
exploring party towards Western Australia. He was second in


command on Mr. J. M. Stuart's expedition across the continent in 1860.
Oct. 19.—Mr. Aulay Macaulay, the superintending surveyor for the
Northern District under the Central Road Board, aged 53.
20.—Mr. Joseph Darwent, well known in railway and shipping circles. He
undertook, in association with Mr. Dalwood, to construct the northern
portion of the overland telegraph between Port Augusta and Port Darwin.
Aged 48.
Nov. 8.—Mr. Talbot Baines Bruce, of the firm of Stow, Bruce, and Ayers,
aged 38.
9.—At the Semaphore, Dr. George Nott, of Gawler, originator of the
Bunyip, and a leading spirit in the " Humbug " Society.
Dec. 28.—Tinnanamby, King of the Moorundee tribe of natives, aged over 80.
31.—Mr. John McKinlay, the gallant South Australian explorer, aged 53.
Buried at Gawler.
January.—The subject of coolie labour for the Northern Territory much
.—Mr. W. W. Hughes bound himself by deed to give £20,000 towards
founding a University in Adelaide within ten years, and to pay six per
cent. interest in the mean time for such portion as might remain unused.
.—All Saints' Church, Hindmarsh, consecrated by the Bishop of Adelaide.
1.—Young Men's Magazine, organ of the South Australian Young Men's
Mutual Improvement Societies, started.
.—St. John's Church, Norton Summit, consecrated by the Bishop of Adelaide.
8.—Foundation-stone of St. Mary's, Penola, laid by Mr. R. McClure.
13.—Special meeting held of the Church of Eng-


land Synod in the diocese of Adelaide. After receiving report from the
delegates to the late conference at Sydney (October 23, 1872), the
meeting accepted the new constitution of the General Synod of the Church
of England in Australia and Tasmania.
Jan. 25.—An anticipated " gold rush " in the Northern Territory. Many
companies took up claims.
February.—Mr. Reynolds, Commissioner of Crown Lands, set forth to study
the question of coolie labour with a view to its adoption in the
Northern Territory.
.—Official telegram received a announcin appoint- ment of Mr. Anthony
Musgrave as Governorof South Australia.
.—The Daly river (Northern Territory) explored for over one hundred
miles, and described as a finer river than the Adelaide.
.—At the end of 1872 there were 15,955 depositors in the Savings Bank,
the amount in the hands of the trustees being £578,517, an increase of
£90,000 within the year.
.—Visit to the Colony of H.M.S. Clio.
.--Valuable report made to the Government by Dr. Schomburgk on rural
industries and forest culture.
—The nett profit on the operations of the Kadina and Wallaroo Railway
and Pier Company amounted to £9556 in the half-year.
.—Proposal to construct a dam across the river Torrens at a cost of £6000.
14.—The Intercolonial Conference in Sydney closed. March.—Copper
discovered in the Mount Lofty Range, near the Fifth Creek.
.—A scare raised as to pleuro-pneumonia in cattle near the City.
.—" William," the philanthropic honorary superintendent of the Bushmen's
Home, published a history of that institution.
19.—Important meeting at Chamber of Commerce


to urge Government to bring in a comprehensive Immigration Bill.
March 24.—A meeting of subscribers decided to build Cottage Homes for
the Aged at North Adelaide.
April.--A valuable " Handbook for Emigrants to South Australia," by W.
Harcus, J.P., published in Adelaide.
.—Great fears entertained as to the fate of the ship Springbok,, which
left Port Darwin for Adelaide on the 6th of January, and had not been
heard of since.
.—The Mount Emu Station in the south-east sold for £94,000 cash.
15.—Colonel P. Egerton Warburton and party left Alice Springs and made
their way to Oakover river, in Western Australia, which they reached on
the 12th of December in desperate circumstances.
19.—Many persons assembled at Thebarton to witness a test of what
appeared likely to prove an industry of great importance—the making of
kerosene oil from a substance found exuding from the earth in large
quantities at the head of the Coorong.
21.—Mr. W. C. Gosse and party left overland telegraph at a point about
fifty miles soutl of Central Mount Stuart, to track out westerly
overland route to Perth. &suite( in "information of 60,000 miles of
hithert unknown country," and the discovery c Ayers' Rock, an isolated
mass of granite two miles long and a mile wide, rising abruptly, 1100
feet above surrounding country.
May.—Fine auriferous quartz found on the Barossa gold-fields.
.—A movement started in Adelaide and at Moonta for the establishment of
the eight hours' system.


May.—Mr. Anthony Trollope's book on " Australia " arrived in the colony.
5.—The Springbok, which left Port Darwin on the 6th of January with over
seventy passengers for Adelaide, after a perilous voyage of 119 days,
reached Cardwell in north of Queensland. Naval Court, H.M.S. Basilisk,
suspended Captain Harrison as imbecile. Mr. D. D. Daly, nephew of the
late Governor, highly praised for his courage in taking charge of the
ship and for his skilful navigation.
28.—First mustard factory in South Australia established.
29.—Trial trip by the directors and their friends on the completed
Adelaide and Glenelg Railway, begun in March, 1872.
June 5.—Report of the Hon. T. Reynolds, Commissioner of Crown Lands,
received upon the state and prospects of the Northern Territory.
8.—Mr. Anthony Musgrave, C.M.G. (afterwards K.C.M.G.), the new Governor,
and his family, arrived from Natal, and at once took up their quarters
at Government House.
9.—Mr. Musgrave sworn in as Governor.


June.—Conventions between New South Wales and South Australia and New
South Wales and Victoria. Border Duties, to hold good for three years,
brought into force.
.—An unfortunate outbreak of small-pox on board the Baroda raised for
the first time the question of quarantine.
.—The Riverine trade much under discussion.
.—Presentation to Lieut. J. A. Fergusson (brother of the late Governor)
by the cricket clubs of the City and suburbs.


July.—Mr. D. Randall, a specialist, left for England to arrange for the
introduction of colonial wines into the English market.
.—Competition between the gas companies brought down the price of gas to
7s. per 1000 feet.
.—New South Australian Jockey Club formed. Patron, the Governor ;
president, Sir John Morphett.
.—A proposal to appoint immigration lecturers and sub-agents in Great
Britain approved by the Ministry.
4.—Damage done by floods after heavy rains.
12.—Arrival of the steamer Coarong, with a number of gentlemen on board,
including the Hon. T. Reynolds, Commissioner of Crown Lands, who left
the Northern Territory in the Gothenburg a month previously.
18.—Resignation of the Hon. T. Reynolds as Commissioner of Crown Lands.
25.—The new Governor opened his first Parliament.
20.—The Assembly resolved to sit only three days a week.
August.—An Act passed for the protection of natural oyster beds and the
formation of artificial ones. It repealed the practically inoperative
Act of 1853, stringently provided for the protection of the interest of
cultivators, and enacted a close season during October, November, and
the first twenty days of December.
.—A new game law passed. It enacted a close season for game from August
1st to the 31st of January, but for " native game " only until 31st of
December. Rabbits, which Australia had been protecting to her serious
cost and damage, were no longer to be considered game, and all persons
were henceforth to be at liberty to shoot


them at any time. The killing, sale, or possession of game during
prohibited periods was to secure for the offender a penalty not
exceeding £5, or, in the case of native game, of £2. But the aborigines
themselves were to be free to kill or take the eggs of any native game
which they might require for their own use.
August.—A Public Health Bill promoted and passed into law. It provided
for the establishment of central and local Boards of Health, with
authority to take steps for the prevention of the spread of disease, the
prohibition of noxious trades and factories in the City, the cleansing
of house property, drains, etc.
.—The " Australian Customs Act " having been passed by the Imperial
Legislature, conceding certain demands of the Australian colonies, and
establishing facilities for free trade between the various members of
the group, a Convention was held to settle details arising out of the
Act, as regarded the traffic across the river Murray, at which Sir Henry
Ayers and Mr. Barrow represented South Australia, and Mr. Parkes and Mr.
Lloyd New South Wales. The result was the passing of a Bill by which the
former colony agreed to pay the latter .13,500 in lieu of all customs,
excepting as regards tobacco, for which special arrangements were to be
.—The Rev. C. A. Reynolds, Catholic Administrator, appointed Roman
Catholic Bishop of Adelaide.
.--At the Peake, 636 miles in the interior, a strong shock of earthquake
was felt.
—In the locomotive and carriage departments of the Government railways
the eight hours' system was adopted.
August.—Public meetings for and against free immigration were held.
.—A Bill introduced into the Assembly to amend 'the Constitution Act, by
providing that the Attorney-General should not necessarily be a member
of Parliament ; that a sixth Minister, " the Minister of Education,"
should be appointed ; and that the salaries of all members of Government
should be equalized.
1.—A branch of the English, Scottish, and Australian Chartered Bank
opened at Palmerston, Northern Territory.
2.—Public opening. by the Governor, of the Adelaide and Glenelg Railway.
12.—The Ministry propounded their policy with reference to the Northern
Territory, founded on report of the Hon. T. Reynolds.
19.—Mr. John Hall Angus ordained by Presbytery of South Australia to
charges left vacant through the death of Rev. James Rod-dick.
22.—A Trans-continental Railway Bill brought
before the Assembly, and rejected.
September.—State grant of £500 voted for the encouragement of silk culture.
.—Several important agricultural shows held throughout the Colony. That
of the Royal Agricultural Society clearly proved the important advances
made in cattle-breeding. This industry had received much encouragement
from Messrs. J. H. Angas, J.P., C. Price, and E. M. Bagot, all of whom
were competitors.
.—The appointment of Government Resident in the Northern Territory
having been offered to the Hon. T. Reynolds, Mr. Sheriff Boothby, and
Mr. C. Bonney, it was finally accepted by Mr. G. B. Scott, Stipendiary
Magistrate of Robe.


Sep. 3.—After prolonged discussion, the eight hours' movement came into
force. Celebrated by a dinner and entertainment at White's Rooms. About
450 employes were the hosts, and about fifty employers the guests on
this occasion. Sir Henry Ayers gave a congratulatory address as to the
manner in which both sides had carried on and carried out the movement.
" The improvement in steam and water power ought to benefit the working
classes, and shorten their hours of toil. Thus they would be able to
improve their minds, raise themselves socially, and increase their
political power." Several similar demonstrations were held at Port
Adelaide and other towns, and workmen who had not yet secured the
eight-hour concession were stirred up to make efforts to obtain it.
24.—Mr. Krichauff brought forward a motion for leave to introduce a Bill
on the most important subject of forest culture.
October.—Governor Musgrave paid visits to Yorke's
Peninsula, Moonta, and the north.
.—The Constitution Amendment Bill, providing for the appointment of a
sixth Minister and the equalization of salaries at £1000 per annum,
passed the Assembly.
.—Between fifty and sixty Victorian diggers came over by steamer to work
the local gold-fields.
.—A much-needed movement set on foot for establishing a glass-bottle
manufactory in the colony.
.—Madame Arabella Goddard gave a series of concerts to crowded and
delighted audiences.
27.—Foundation-stone of North Adelaide Cottage Homes laid by Mrs.
Musgrave. November.—A company projected to form and work
an olive plantation at Stony Fell, near Adelaide.
November.—First number of the Port Darwin newspaper published, and
Wesleyan Church opened at Palmerston.
1.—Mr. George Byng Scott, the newly appointed Government Resident of the
Northern Territory, arrived at Port Darwin.
2.—Very Rev. C. A. Reynolds consecrated Roman Catholic Bishop of
Adelaide in the Cathedral of St. Francis Xavier.
7.—Foundation-stone of Murray Bridge laid by Governor.
13.—Lord Penzance gave judgment in the appeal from Supreme Court of
South Australia to the Privy Council re claim of North Australian Land
Company, Limited, for £33,818. South Australia to pay the money and the
Company to surrender their land orders.
22.—New embankment and wharf at Port Adelaide opened by the Mayor, Mr.
J. Formby, and named " Corporation Wharf."
.—The Port Wakefield, Hoyleton, Port Pirie, and Port Broughton Railway
Bills passed by the Assembly.
Dec. 18.—The seventh Parliament under Constitution Act came to a close.
.—Sir John Morphett retired from the office of President of the Council.
30.—Quartz-crushing by machinery commenced on the gold-fields in
Northern Territory.
During the year
A new Electoral Act,long discussed, was passed, increasing number of
members of the Assembly from thirty-six to forty-six.
Jan. 14.—Mother Mary Teresa Joseph, Prioress of St. Mary's Dominican
Convent, Franklin Street, Adelaide.


Jan. 28.—The Hon. John Hart, C.M.G., an active member in several
Ministries, and for twenty years one of the leading politicians of the
Colony. He died suddenly when attending a meeting of the Mercantile
Marine Insurance Company.
Feb. 2.—In London, Mr. Edward Stirling, who came to the Colony in 1839,
and engaged in pastoral pursuits at Strathalbyn. He was for many years a
member of the Legislature and of the firm of Elder, Stirling, and Co.,
and was universally esteemed.
17.—Mr. Charles Fenn, a well-known member of
the South Australian Bar, aged 56.
March 3.—Mr. F. Vaux, chief clerk of the Treasury, consequent upon a
fall from the roof of an omnibus.
5.—W. H. Simpson (" Billy Simpson "), the celebrated jockey.
14.—Mr. John F. Wills, of H.M. Customs, aged 61. Arrived in the colony
in 1836.
19.—Mr. George G. McLachlan, J.P., Government
surveyor in the Northern Territory.
28.—Captain John Watts, for over twenty years
Postmaster-General of the province.
May 27.—Mr. C. J. Lawrence, the Governor of H.M.'s Gaol, aged 46.
30.—Mr. Thomas Gilbert, one of the early pioneers, aged 87.
June 15.—Mr. J. Reynell, an old and respected colonist and vigneron.
30.—Mr. John Newman, aged 63. Arrived in the colony in 1838.
July 31.—At Glenelg, the Hon. John Bentham Neales, aged 67. A colonist
of over thirty years' standing, and for many years one of the political
leaders of the province. He was the " Father " of milling in South
Sep. 18.—At Mitcham, the Rev. Thomas Playford,
Baptist Minister, after a ministry of twenty-nine years, aged 79.
Sep. 18.—Rev. W. W. Ewbank, M.A., aged 42.
Oct. 9.—Mr. Emanuel Solomon, aged 73. Arrived in
the colony in 1837. A highly successful

January.—Model schools opened in Adelaide.
.—Mr. John Ross, the explorer, despatched by Mr. T. Elder in search of
Major E. Warburton and his expedition.
.—Arrival of the Earl Dalhousie with 385 Government immigrants, nearly
all of whom found immediate employment.
.—The balance-sheet of the Adelaide Meat Preserving Company showed
losses amounting to £13,269.
9.—Three great bush fires ; one, on Mr. J. H. Angus's run, from Spring
Creek over Willowie, devastated twenty-five miles of pastoral country ;
a second near Booyoolee ; a third on the Beetaloo Run. Dense smoke
obscured the sky for thirty miles round Mount Remarkable.
Feb. 22.—Barrow's Creek Station, on the overland telegraph route, 1207
miles from Adelaide, attacked by natives. Mr. J. R. Stapleton,
station-master, and J. Frank killed, and two others wounded.
.—Despatch of a survey party to report upon the feasibility of cutting a
canal from the river Murray through the sandbanks at Goolwa to the sea,
a distance of half a mile.
.—Two thousand four hundred persons presented a petition in favour of
permission being granted to the Glenelg Railway Company to carry their
line through Victoria Square, and public meetings held to protest against


this. The City Council refused the application of the petitioners.
Feb. 22.—Adelaide Meat Preserving Company wound up on account of losses.
.—Pretended discovery of Leichardt's fate by
Andrew Hume, proved to be a canard.
March.—Mr. Thomas Elder equipped an expedition under Mr. John Ross to
set forth from the overland telegraph line and proceed to Perth.
.—First loss of life by a railway accident in the colony. W. Gale and
Mrs. Parsons killed by a train being diverted into a blind siding near
Roseworthy on the Northern Extension Railway
.—Considerable alarm and discussion on hearing that the French
Government proposed to make New Caledonia a penal settlement.
.—The Central Board of Health applied itself vigorously to abate
unsanitary nuisances in the matter of drainage and water supply.
.—Local Boards of Health were established at Hindmarsh, West Torrens,
Moonta, and elsewhere.
.—The Erskine Bridge erected over the river Bremer near Callington, and
another over the Onkaparinga, near the Wheatsheaf.
.—The Government purchased and applied to the telegraph poles a patent
for preserving timber from the ravages of white ants.
26 to 28.—W. G. Grace's All England cricket team played twenty-two
members of the South Australian Cricketing Association at Adelaide. The
English team won by thirty-six runs.
April.—Resignation of Dr. Wyatt, for thirty-three
years Chief Inspector of Schools.
.—The Governor arranged to set apart an hour each Wednesday for
receiving colonists at his office on business.


April.—The Institute Commission recommended the founding of a thoroughly
National Library and Museum, the erection of a building to cost from
£85,000 to £95,000, and the commencement of a series of lectures.
2.—Great strike of 2300 miners, mechanics, and labourers at the Moonta,
Wallaroo, and Doora mines on Yorke's Peninsula, in consequence of a
reduction of wages. Strike terminated on the 15th of April by the
directors withdrawing the notice of reduction for two months.
5.—Return of Colonel Warburton from Western Australia after successfully
completing the journey from the overland telegraph to the west coast.
30.—Parliament opened by Governor. The sum of £1000 voted to Colonel
Warburton, the explorer, and £500 to his followers.
May.—Captain Douglas retired from office of Government Resident of the
Northern Territory.
June.—£5000 voted by House of Assembly to erect a country residence for
the Governor at Mount Lofty.
.—The miners' strike on Yorke's Peninsula brought to a satisfactory
.—A Bill brought forward by the Government to prevent the importation of
tandsticker and other matches. Protest by the trade against the measure.
.—The South Australians beat the Victorians by fifteen points at the
international rifle match.
.—£6000 voted for a water supply at Moonta. .—In the Stow Memorial
Church a new organ erected at a cost of £1000.
.—Mr. Ernest Giles reached Charlotte Waters, and reported discovery of
valuable country, but was unable to carry out the purposes or his


June 16.—The barque Contest, from the Northern
Territory for Adelaide, wrecked at Rocking-
ham, near Freemantle, West Australia. All
passengers saved.
21.—Anglican Church of St. Albans, Port Wakefield, opened.
July.—Gold discovered at Black wood Gully, near the Meadows, and in
country between Echunga and Barossa.
.—The Sericultural Association had 11,000 white mulberry trees planted
out, besides some thousands in the nursery.
6.—Cold so intense at Norwood, near Adelaide, that a tank was covered
with ice as thick as a shilling, while in some parts of the country it
was nearly an inch in thickness.
.—First number issued of the Methodist Journal, conducted by Mr. T. S.
.—An Anti-Immigration and Land Reform League established.
Flock of 7000 sheep on the Coorong river destroyed on account of fluke.
August.—A Bill to improve the status of Civil Servants, and generally to
furnish them with motive for continuing in the employment of the
Government, was, after undergoing the ordeal of a Select Committee, passed.
.—The expedition of Mr. John Ross, who started from the telegraph line
in the previous March, ended in failure owing to lack of water and the
difficulty of penetrating through the mulga scrub.
.—By a vote of the Assembly the Government was called upon to prepare a
general scheme of railway construction for the whole colony.
.—Much discussion as to the best means of securing the Murray river
trade, and whether a canal or a railway should be the means of
communication with the sea.

August.—Discussions as to the boundary line between Victoria and South
Australia, which had been recognized since 1847, although it was known
to differ from that defined in Imperial Order in Council.
.—The report of a Commission appointed by the Government to inquire into
the alcoholic strength of South Australian wines showed that the natural
spirit ranged to a point considerably beyond 26 per cent.
.—Bank money orders, payable at any of the
branches, issued by the banks of the colony. .—Inauguration of a series
of Saturday Popular
.—The Alberton Meat Preserving Company commenced operations.
.- It was ordered that cadets before entering the Civil Service should
pass an examination.
.—First appearance of a satirical paper called the Lantern.
.—First importation of coolies into the Northern Territory to assist in
solving the labour question.
9.—Total wreck of the ship Fairfield, bound from Port Adelaide to
Wallaroo. The master's certificate was suspended by a Court of Inquiry.
23.—The City of Adelaide, Messrs. Devitt and Moore's regular liner, went
ashore on Kirkcaldy beach. The passengers and crew were safely got off,
and eventually the vessel was towed into Port Adelaide.
September.—Mr. John Forrest completed his adventurous journey from the
west coast to overland telegraph, having travelled about 2000 miles
since May. Magnificent reception accorded him on arrival in Adelaide.
.—Educational examinations inaugurated in connection with the South
Australian Institute.


September.—£200 voted to Mr. Ernest Giles in recogni-
tion of his exploring services.
5.—All Souls' Church, Moonta, opened by the Bishop of Adelaide.
15.—An exploring party, under the charge of Mr. J. W. Lewis, who had
previously acted with Major Warburton, set out to examine Lake Eyre and
the surrounding country.
21—Meeting at Adelaide Town Hall in connection with funeral reform,
called by Dean Russell. Strong resolutions passed against burdensome
funeral and mourning customs.
October.—Much discussion on a projected railway between Port Adelaide
and the river Murray.
.—Foundation-stone of a Convalescent Home near the Semaphore laid by
Mrs. Musgrave.
.—Munificent gift to the University by the Hon. Thomas Elder, of
£20,000, free from all restrictions.
.—From the Northern Territory reports were received of the successful
introduction of coolie labour.
.—The Secretary of State for the Colonies applied to Victoria for the
use of the overland telegraph in transmitting messages with regard to
the transit of Venus. He forgot, or did not know, that the South
Australians were the constructors and proprietors of the line, and they
naturally felt aggrieved.
.—The schooner Triumph, wrecked near the river Glenelg, and all hands lost.
.—Act of Incorporation, Adelaide University, passed.
31.—Foundation-stone of new Institute at Port
Adelaide laid by Mr. David Bower, J.P.
November.—The first of a series of intercolonial cricket matches took
place on the Adelaide Oval, between eleven Victorian players and a team
of eighteen South Australians. The Victorians won by fifteen runs.


Nov. 3.—A national welcome, in which 20,000 persons took part, was given
to Messrs. John and Alexander Forrest and their party, on their arrival
in Adelaide, after crossing from Champion Bay to the overland telegraph
line through country never before traversed by white men.
8.—St. Joseph's (Roman Catholic) Church, Kooringa, opened by Dr.
Reynolds, Roman Catholic Bishop of Adelaide.
13.—Opening of the Strathalbyn Institute. Public demonstration.
14.—Foundation-stone of the McKinlay memorial,
at Gawler, laid by Mr. John Forrest.
.—The Cornatvia, from London, stranded on the back of the North Bank,
near Port Adelaide lighthouse.
20.—Unexpected arrival of H.M.S. Barracoota off Glenelg.
24.—First sod turned of the Fort Pirie and Gladstone Railway, by Hon. H.
E. Bright, Commissioner of Public Works
December.—Mr. R. J. Day, Mayor of Kapunda, elected Immigration Lecturer
in England, in succession to Mr. J. S. Gowling, deceased.
.—The Government arranged with the Western Australian Government for the
erection of a telegraph line to Port Eucla, thus opening communication
between South and Western Australia.
.—Great mortality having prevailed at Yorke's Peninsula, the Central
Board of Health adopted stringent measures to improve the sanitary
condition of the mining townships.
.—Attention called to the successful cultivation of a new grass, Panicum
1.—Departure of Mr. Ernest Giles to survey and report upon the pastoral
capabilities of country lying within about one hundred

This thread: