BARNETT-L Archives

Archiver > BARNETT > 2001-12 > 1009396729

From: <>
Subject: RE: [BARNETT] Barnett from
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2001 15:03:40 -0500

I believe I am part of this line. There are so many Johns and James in
Virginia during the 1700's I am having trouble sorting it all out. Here is
what I believe part of my line:

1. John Barnett married Jeanette Powers
2. John E. Barnett b. March 13, 1704/05 Derry Co Ireland died January 20,
1785 Paxtang Twp Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
+ Margaret Roan b. 1710 Greenshaw Ireland died January 1790 Paxtang Twp
Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
3. John Barnett b. abt 1743 Pennsylvania died March 31, 1823
+ Rebecca Holcomb

I have 8 children listed, the older were born in Amherst, Va, and the
younger born in Lincoln KY. I believe I descend from the son James P.
Barnett born 1762 in Amherst VA. Based upon my own research (definitely not
certain or complete!) I believe this James is confused in most of the
genealogy records I have found with another James Barnett, also born in 1762
in North Carolina whose father will was William Barnett married to Mary
Spratt. This North Carolina James was married to Jane McKinley, the spouse
often attached to James P. Barnett. I believe the confusion comes from the
fact that they both died in Lincoln KY. James P. Barnett, s/o John, died
March 31, 1834 in Lincoln Ky, while James s/o William died March 4, 1816 in
Lincoln Ky. I believe that James P. Barnett is the James Barnett mentioned
in the will of James Barnett of Montgomery Co Va married to Ann Rachel
Clements who married his daughter Anne, b 1768. They had a son, Schuyler,
born in Montgomery County who married Elizabeth Harrison, raised his family
in Lincoln County Kentucky and died in Benton Mo January 22, 1834. Schuyler
is mentioned in the will of the James of Montgomery County. Ann died young
(before 1808), and James P. may have remarried. To add to the confusion
there is another Schuyler Barnett who married Mary Slade, who was born in Va
and moved to Lincoln Ky. This second Schuyler died in Ky. Schuyler Barnett
who married Elizabeth Harrison is my ancestor.

Ron Barnett