BRETHREN-L Archives

Archiver > BRETHREN > 2010-03 > 1267656438

From: Merle C Rummel <>
Subject: Re: [BRE] Migration Roads from the Carolinas to Ohio and west
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2010 17:47:18 -0500

> I am trying to trace the migration to Ohio of the Garber, Custer, Kessler,
> Huntsinger, Fouts, Burkett, Shearer, and Younce families who lived in the
> 1790s on the New River in Ashe County, NC. They were already west of the
> Blue Ridge. Would they have followed the New River to where it joins the
> Kanawha (rather than cross the Blue Ridge twice)? Unlike the Guilford
> County Quakers, I doubt that the New River Brethren would have crossed at
> Wards Gap since they were already west of the Blue Ridge. But it would be
> interesting to know at what place on the Kanawha Trace Way Bill they would
> have joined up with those Carolinians who came over Wards Gap.
>
> Looking at my Road Atlas I can tell that the description in your Kanawha
> Trace Way Bill basically conforms to U.S. Route 35 in the section from
> Charleston, WV, to Gallipolis through Ohio and into Indiana. What place on
> the Way Bill was close to what is now Charleston? Coal River? Some other
> place?
>
> Yes, I can imagine that the route north through Virginia and West Virginia
> to Charleston would roughly correspond to I-77. Trouble with maps today is
> that they show the superhighways and pay little attention to the rivers. I
> have not been able to find a good historical map of the New River.
>
> Dwayne

Did you read my descriptions of the route - following the Waybill? the
Waybill was afte 1809 - and I was surprised how many place names, are
todays real places - that early1

Yes, as near as I could make out from studying various geographic maps
of the area - I think that the road north went west of the New River, to
hit the extension of the Valley Road somewhere in the vicinity of
Wytheville VA (US 21) [- although they might have been closer to the New
River, and followed the route of today's VA 94.] Somwhere I had found a
few references to very early roads in that corner of Virginia - and I do
suspect that it would have been the US21 route.

From Wytheville they were on the Great Warrior's Path, or the extension
of he Valley Road. The Kanawha Trace came down into Montgomery Co VA
basically following VA 100 - maybe going most of the distance on it. So
the intersection would have been at the town of Dublin VA. (From
Franklin Co VA -they regularly crossed over to Montgomvery Co, going to
Blacksburg - so they would have hit the Kanawha Trace farther along -
nearer Pearisburg VA.) John Toney had built the first brick house over
the mountains at Glen Lyn (his name for it - mouth of Est River into the
New River) - these were Franklin County neighbors.

In Nancy Lybrook's Journal (at www.cob-net.org/docs/) I have the Miller
families going to Jacob Miller Jr's houe (probably near "the Narrows")
while others of the group go on to John Toney's house.

Since the Kanawha Trace was following the Shawnee Indian WarPath (from
Ohio to Virginia) - and Philip Leibrock/Lybrook Sr was one of their
targets in the Massacre of Drapers Meadows (1755) when Col James Preston
was killed [Philip lived on Sinking Creek - VA 42 - but then moved
across the mountain to Franklin Co - he was a frontier Indian Scout -.]
These families knew the mountain region. The Toney brothers (they were
out digging 'sang [ginsang] during the dayj) - had their camp hit by a
massacre on Coal River (south of Charleston WVa) in 1794 - with several
wives and a number of chidlren not being mentioned afterward - second
marriages, etc. The Coal River had to have been an alternate of the
Shawnee Indian WarPath - with the route to Cotton Hill, the Falls of the
Kanawha and Beckwith being the route on the Kanawha Waybill. [Leonard
Morris's "Fort" was across the river, just south of Charleston WVa] I
have Nancy Lybrook telling of going to the Toney's on Coal River. This
would have met the Kanawha considerably west of Charleston.

The Kanawha Trace is basically followed by US 35 from Gallipolis
(ferried over the Ohio River) to Chillicothe OH (Mound City), Many
Brethren followed an ancient Indian road - now basically US 35 -to the
east side of Dayton OH.

The Kanawha Trace Waybill shows that they followed the Zane Trace west
out of Chillicothe (US 50), along Paint Creek (and the Mound Indian
Forts and Mounds along it - been to these many times when I taught at
Sinking Spring OH [Strait Creek Church] - the Ohio Historical Society,
years ago, accepted me as a being considerably knowledgeable about the
Mound Indians ) - to near Bourneville. There they followed the eastern
Twin Creek road - to New Salem and Greenfield (we had churches in this
area by the 1820s). The Trace went on to Williamington OH, and is
followed by OH 73 to Franklin OH (on the Great Miami River). From there
it followed OH123 to Sunbury, south of Germantown OH, and went west
along Twin Creek till it met OH725 west of Germantown. Then to Gratis
OH (OH 122), Easton OH, and Richmond IN (this last section being US35
again. The Franklin County people went west from Eaton OH on the trace
to the Conner's Trading Post (now Connersville IN) - just across the
Indiana Territory line (now Boston, where I live) they headed south to
their lands on the Four Mile (now IN 227 and the Nine Mile Road).

The Four Mile was also on the Delaware Indian Road - used by the Conner
Brothers - as they brought supplies to the Delaware Indians, who had
settled on the White River (Muncytown - Muncie IN and Anderson's town -
Anderson IN) - those who had survived the massacre of Schoenbrunn
Village in Northeastern Ohio (they were a Moravian Christian Mission) -
during the Revolutionary War - militia from Pittsburg. Connersville
(John Conner) and Conner's Prairie (William Conner)(near Noblesville IN)
were sons of a White trader among the Delaware Indains, who had married
a white captive girl, raised by the Delawares - up at Schoenbrunn - they
didn't happen to be in the village, when the massacre occurred.. There
was early migration up the Delaware Indian Road - to Muncie IN - and on
- to the Wild Cat Creek - to "Wabash Country" (Carroll Co; Cass Co;
Miami Co; and Howard Co IN) I have not determined an exact route for
this extension of the migration, although I lived at Muncie for near 20
years (worked at Ball State University - TV Engineer)..

While many from the Four Mile were involved in the Brethren migrations
to Illinois and Iowa - the leadership of the migration mainly came from
Wabash Country and from the Ladoga Churches (Raccoon Creek) - in Putnam
Co IN (both areas of settlement from the Four Mile).

After the National Road was completed across Indiana and Illinoi - to St
Louis MO - there was the "Iowa Road" going from the Wabash at Terra
Haute IN, angling northwest across Illinois to Ft Madison IA. It passed
through Decatur IL, Springfiled IL (Abraham Lincoln) and Beardstown IL
(on the Illinois River) before heading northward to the Mississippi
River at Ft Madison. There are Brethren churches at several locations
along the route - and there are Brethren known to have become leaders
among the Mormons, at Nauvoo IL (just south of Ft Madison)(and following
the trek to Utah)..

Paul Custer's son (Samuel) says that they stopped near Lexington KY
-before coming to Hamilton Co OH. There were several Brethren Churches
near Lexington: Hinkston Creek (East Union, north of Mt Sterling, north
of Boonesboro); Tates Creek (Boone Station - south towards Richmond KY);
Short Shun Creek (Jessamine Co - Wilmore KY). They lived over here at
Dublin IN - on the National Road. It was a Universalist Conference
Center, in early days. Samuel says the family were basically
Universalists, and that Mary's father (Elder John Garber) was an Eternal
Restorationist.

John Custer (father of Paul Custer, father-in-law of John Kessler) died
on Duck Creek, (Hamilton Co OH, east of Sharonville). I know about
where it is, but I have found no grave site yet. The Interstate Bypass
(I-275) is close north of where he would have lived. An earliest
Univesalist Church is supposed to have been somewhere close - I haven't
found anything much on it yet. John Custer is recorded in Lee Co Va
after 23 Mar 1797 - which would be on the road going to the Cumberland
Gap - to go up the Wilderness Road to the Lexington KY area. I am
supposing that the Kesslers and possibly John Garver was with him, going
that way. (12 May 1790 - John Custer was in Wilkes Co NC - now Ashe Co
NC - Patent #1797 - 50 Acres) the 1802 Tax List, Clermont Co OH shows
John Custer - with Emanuel, and others - down near New Richmond OH - on
or near the Ohio River.- Ten Mile Creek Church area, but he seems to
nave stayed there very shortly. Joseph Garber (son of Samuel) pastored
there, John Garber/Garver was at Obannon Creek - some 30 miles north,
near Goshen OH (where Elizabeth Houser Custer is buried at the Myers
Cemetery). I do wonder if Elizabeth Houser was connected to the Elder
Abraham Houser, of the Short Shun Creek Church in Jessamine Co KY, who
then came to the Bullskin Creek Church, near Felicity OH, Clermont Co.
Elder Abraham Houser was born in Germany, lived on the Antietam and
migrated with the Elder Jacob Rohrer group to Jessamine Co KY (Abraham's
wife. Nancy Rohrer, was a sister of Elder Jacob Rohrer).

yes, you have free permission to use anything - I wrote that in the
introduction at the cob-net.org site. I have the Quaker Diary of the
migration to Ward's Gap, Cumberland Gap, Louisville KY and to Paoli IN -
I think I included it with the Wilderness Road (Logan's Path). It would
have passed close to the Jessimine Church!

Have I written enough - or just raised a lot more questions?

Merle C Rummel

This thread: