CAMPBELL-L Archives

Archiver > CAMPBELL > 2003-01 > 1042920593

From: "Nell Lewis" <>
Subject: Re: South Carolina Campbells
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 14:09:53 -0600

Hello Cynthia Evans,

I just had to contact you, because just like you, I too have our CAMPBELL
line from abt. 1769 to 2003 but am still seeking proof of our James
CAMPBELL's parents...................[oh, so many James Campbell's in those
early days!] One of our Campbell researchers who has since died, 'said'
that our James Campbell was born abt. 1769 in Tyron Dist. SC [the
Mecklenburg SC area] to an Alexander CAMPELL but I have no "Proof" of
this. "It is possible" that our James could have been the one that you
listed as:

" iii. JAMES ?? CAMPBELL".

Our James Campbell married Sarah (Sally) McCord March 19, 1779 in Lincoln
Co. NC. [at that time Sally's father lived in Mecklenburg SC] Shortly after
they married they left 'on their wedding trip' [according to the McCord
family] with other McCord members, and traveled on horseback to Boonsboro,
Madison Co. KY and remained in KY for their lifetime. In her affidavit for
widow's pension, Sally said: "James was under the command of Colonel
Williams, Shelby and Adair, and of his being in the battles of Ramsomers
Mill, Kings Mountain (Oct 7, 1780) at the surrender of Cornwallis, and was
in several other battles against the Torries and recollect of hearing him
speak of his discharges being left at his Fathers and she has no
recollection of ever seeing them and does not know what has become of them.
Altho she was not married during the war of the Revolution, said she was
married during his services in the Indian Wars and was with him herself in
an engagement with the Indians near the Crab-Orchard in the state of
Kentucky."

I will keep your posting and will contact you IF I ever find out any kind of
proof about the parents of James. Maybe one of us will come up with
information we need.

I've been in touch with the CLAN CAMPBELL and Phil Norfleet & his Campbell
research, but so far we've been unable to make any connection to the family
of our James. Because of this, I suspect that his father must have come
directly from the old country before James was born and was not directly
connected to the Campbell's that were already in America. Good luck to
both of us. There is always hope that one of these days we'll find the
proof we seek.

Nell