CAMPBELL-L Archives

Archiver > CAMPBELL > 2005-01 > 1106613876

Subject: Re: Lawrence Campbell researcher
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 00:44:40 +0000

Dear Lilly;

Yes, you are still confused! Lawrence and Henrietta Catlett Campbell's son Francis was Francis Lee Campbell who married Nancy Ann Barnett. They resided in Louisa Co., VA. Lawrence also had a son named Lawrence Jr.
Lawrence lived in Amherst Co., VA and fought in the Rev. War. I guess you missed the message I posted about the children of Lawrence Sr. and Henrietta.
Here it is:

Lawrence Jr.
Lawrence Campbell, Jr., ws born in November 1763. He enlisted in Amherst Co, VA in 1781 and served six months in Captain George Penn's Co., Col. Scott's Virginia Regiment. He moved to Green County, KY. where on September 17, 1832, he applied for a pension as S.30912.

James Campbell
James married and moved to North Carolina and died before 1813 according to his fathers will.

Catlett Campbell
Catlett went to Orange County, North Carolina where according to Wheeler's History of North Carolina, p. 337, in 1804-05, he was a member of the House of Commons from Hillsboro.

Captain Francis Lee Campbell
Francis Lee Campbell was born in 1760 and married on January l, 1789 to Ann Barnett, the daughter of Captain James Barnet of Louisa Co., VA. He died Oct., 15, 1840 at his home "Clover Hill" on the bank of the South Ana River in Louisa County and is buried behind his home.

Nancy Campbell
Married James Maloney (no other data)

Mary Ann Campbell
Mary Ann married on Oct. 28, 1789 Joesph Burke. (Amherst Marriage Bk. p.53) Sometime prior to 1835 she married James Handley.

Pamelia Campbell
Pamelia married Richard Waugh on Sept. 1, 1789. (Amherst Co. Marr. p. 127)

Sarah Campbell
Sarah married James L. Turner Mar. 12, 1811. (Amherst Co. Marr. p. 150) The father of James L. Turner was Samuel Turner (marriage bond)

Judith Campbell
Judith Campbell married Hiram McGinnis in Amherst Co., VA Feb. 24, 1795. (Amherst Co. Marriages, p. 100)

*Source of these records: I, F.C. Symonds, D.D., do certify that the above is a true copy of the record as contained in the Family Bible and Court Records.
signed: F. C. Symonds

Subscribed and sworn to before me this 3rd day of March 1937. T. Claggett Jones, Notary Public, State of Virginia, City of Lynchburg.

*F. C. Symonds was: Rev. Francis Campbell Symonds D.D., Pastor.
First Presbyterian Church, Ninth and Court Streets, Lynchburg, VA.

NOTE: As you can see, this Francis Lee Campbell is definately not the Francis Campbell who married a Coffey. And, furthermore, your Francis is not the son of Lawrence Campbell.

You also asked about Neil Campbell (Library of Virginia)
Neil Campbell, will Bk. No. 1, 1761-1780 (Reel 17)
p. 332-333, Exors. bond Rec. 5 Mar, 1777
p. 342-3346. Inv. & Appr. rec. 5 May 1777
p. 329-331. Will pro. 3 Mar. 1777
Part of index to Amherst County Wills and Administrations

"Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia" Original Court Records of Augusta County 1745-1800. Circuit Court Record, Section "I."
pg. 153
......Will of Neil Campbell of Amherst. To Tabithy Ballor, daughter of Leonard Ballor, formerly of Albemarle, but now living on New River for care she has taken of him. Sister Catherine Burgh's children of East Mill near Perth, New Britian. Natural daughter, Elizabeth Campbell, alias Ballor, begotten on body of Tabithy Ballor. .... Dated 3rd December, 1776. Recorded in Amhest, 3rd March, 1777.

Hugh Campbell moved to Tennessee in 1813. He owned lands in Amhert which he sold ...the title of which was formerly in Neil Campbell, and by him devised to his daughter Elizabeth Campbell, who became widow of Thos. Barret and afterwards married to Hugh.

*There were 1712 acres sold before the move to Tennessee in 1813. Most of the land seems to be on the Buffalo River (both sides) in Amherst Co., VA.

NOTE: Hope this answers some of your questions. Phyllis Pengilly in CA.

This thread: