CAMPBELL-L Archives

Archiver > CAMPBELL > 2005-03 > 1109673737

From: "Lilly" <>
Subject: George Campbell and Margaret, #1 report
Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 13:42:17 +0300

Hello Campbell researchers,

I will discuss George Campbell who married Margaret, this couple had about 10 children in the area of Virginia, USA, which is called today as Nelson and Amherst Co., VA, USA.

George Campbell was born about 1700, maybe Scotland, maybe Ireland, no proof of a location available at this date. Does anyone have any proof or clues??

He died in 1777, the Will was written 11-1-1776, look at Will Book #1, page 334, and was probated in court on 5-5-1777, Book F, of Amherst Co VA.

His wife was Margaret. This woman may have later, after George died, married a man named Henderson, since she used the name of Margaret Henderson when her daughter married, after the death of George.
Margaret is said to have died about Sept. 1791.
If Margaret was still a widow of George Campbell when her daughter married, then she would have signed her name as Margaret Campbell.

1. John b. 1748 d. 1-25-1803 Greensville, VA.
2. Archibald b. 4-18-1754 Albemarle Co., VA d. 7-20-1857 Greenbrier, VA.
3. George (this man may be my ancestor, but there is no proof yet)
4. Edley b. 1-5-1761 d. 3-10-1851
married 3 times: Mary Elliott; Hannah; Rachel Walker 6-12-1806 Wythe Co VA
5. Thomas b. 1762, m. Elizabeth McPheathers
6. Catherine b 1745
7. Elizabeth b. 1752
8. Margaret b. 1768
9. Ruth b. 1768 m. John De Priest 9-9-1791

It is said that Margaret and Ruth were twins.

It appears to me that this family line did NOT leave any male Campbell descendants in the area of Nelson Co and Amherst Co. For example: in the 1860 census at both Nelson Co and Amherst Co I can find no person named Campbell who can trace their ancestry back to George, who married Margaret.

I would like to hear from anyone with proof or any supporting evidence that George Campbell, who married Catherine, might be the son of George and Margaret.

From looking at BIRTH DATES only, it would appear that George who married Caty was born too EARLY to have been a SON of George and Margaret.

Or was Margaret a second wife? Many ideas to discuss. I would also like to discuss if any one can give an example of ANY of the sons of George, who married Margaret, who stayed in the Nelson -Amherst Co area and left descendants.
Specifically: did John, Archibald, George, Edley, and Thomas all move away from the area??

Any descendants of this man???

Best regards,
Lilly Martin

This thread: