CAN-NS-GUYSBOROUGH-L ArchivesArchiver > CAN-NS-GUYSBOROUGH > 2010-01 > 1264208566
From: "Fred Myers" <>
Subject: [CAN-NS-GUYSBOROUGH] Obits - January 2010
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:02:46 -0600
Here are six Guysborough Co. related obits from the Halifax Chronicle Herald since January 1st, which I have not seen before, - but maybe others have already. Anyway, I thought someone might benefit from the posting to the list.
18 Jan. 2010
- 83, Guysborough. It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Henry "Pops" Avery on Saturday, January 16, 2010, in Guysborough Memorial Hospital surrounded by his loving family. Henry was born October 8, 1926, in Larry's River, Guysborough Co. He was a son of the late Leander and Margaret (Pero) Avery. He is survived by his wife, Ethel, and his children, John (Debbie) Dewolfe, Toronto, Ont.; Joe, Manchester; James (Maggie), Red Deer, Alta.; Carol (Steve) Finch, Hatchet Lake; Rose (James) Skinner, Guysborough. Grampie's loving grandchildren were Joshua (his special boy), Sheena, Chelsea, Kimberly, Michael, Cindy, Lacey, Julia, Amanda, Scott, Laura, Tanya and Johnny and his little dog Kobi. He is also survived by sisters, Anita, Marie; brothers, Simon, Dave, Leonard, Archie, Frank, and many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by his sister, Mary and brothers, Hubert, Leo and Fred in infancy. Visitation was held Sunday from 4-9 p.m. in Communities Along the Bay Multi-Use Facility, Bradford Pellerin Room, Larry's River. Funeral mass will be held Monday at 11 a.m. in St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Larry's River with Father Jonathan Nweke officiating. Burial in the parish cemetery. Funeral arrangements are under the care and direction of Dennis Haverstock Funeral Homes Ltd., Guysborough. Words of comfort may be forwarded to the family at:
13 Jan. 2010
GREENCORN, Elizabeth "Margaret"
- 82, of Mulgrave, passed away Wednesday, January 13, 2010, in St. Martha's Regional Hospital, Antigonish. Born in Germany, she was a daughter of the late Alois and Clara Brendel. Margaret came to Canada with the love of her life 52 years ago to become a devoted wife and mother. She was known for her kindness and the good cup of tea she insisted you have when coming into her home. She was an avid storyteller and loved to share them with her friends. She will be sadly missed by her long-time friend and neighbor, Ardella; and by her furry little friend Putter. She was a member of St. Andrews Anglican Church, Mulgrave. Surviving are sons, Hans (Colleen), Paul (Debbie), both of Mulgrave; Edward (Wanda), Alphonse (Jackie), both of Port Hawkesbury; Kenny (Sandra), Lincolnville; daughters, Diane (Archie), Helga, both of Mulgrave. She was an oma or nanny Marg to grandchildren, Stacey, Ashley, Hans, Brian, Pamela, Shana, Daffney, Paul, Steven, Kristean, Kelsey, Jonathan and Kendra; great-grandchildren, Cole, Hunter, Ashton, Anslee, and Addison. She was predeceased by her husband, Phillip Howard; brothers, Paul and Alphonse; infant son, Kristean Phillip and son-in-law, John B. MacKinnon. Visitation will be held from 4-9 p.m. today in Mulgrave and Area Resting Place. Funeral service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday in St. Lawrence Church, Mulgrave, Rev. Susan Best officiating. Burial in St. Andrews Church Cemetery. Memorial donations in memory of Elizabeth, may be made to the Lung Association of Nova Scotia or Mulgrave and Area Resting Place. Funeral arrangements are under the care and direction of Dennis Haverstock Funeral Home, Port Hawkesbury. Words of comfort may be forwarded to the family at:
12 Jan. 2010
MASON, Alexander MacIsaac
- 84, Milford Haven Home for Special Care, Guysborough and formerly of Isaac's Harbour, Guysborough Co., died Tuesday, January 12, 2010, in the Home. Born in Isaac's Harbour, he was a son of the late Harris and Isivine (Feltmate) Mason. Alex was an engineer on the Great Lakes for 30 years. He was an avid Toronto Blue Jays fan and enjoyed games such as auction 45's, cribbage and checkers. Alex loved music, especially country and hymns. But his greatest love was for his Ford 500, which he took great pleasure in driving. He is survived by daughters, Valerie Banfield, Dartmouth; Gwendolyn Langille (Dale), Mount Uniacke; sisters, Minnie Smith, Mississauga, Ont.; Myra Carter, Isaac's Harbour; three grandchildren; several nieces and nephews; special nieces, Sheena MacIsaac, Elizabeth Kilner and Patsy MacIsaac and husband Paul. He was predeceased by brother, Robert Burns Mason. Visitation will be held today from 7-9 p.m. in G.W. Giffin Funeral Home, 17545 Highway 316, Country Harbour. Funeral service will be held Friday at 2 p.m. in Isaac's Harbour Baptist Church with Rev. Julia Howard officiating. Burial in Isaac's Harbour Cemetery. Memorial donations may be made to the Isaac's Harbour Baptist Church Fund or Milford Haven Home for Special Care, Guysborough. Funeral arrangements are under the dignified and compassionate care of G.W. Giffin Funeral Home, 17545 Highway 316, Country Harbour. On-line condolences may be made at: www.gwgiffin.com
10 Jan. 2010
MacKEEN, Muriel Marguerite
- With heavy hearts, Muriel's family announces her passing on January 10, 2010, in St. Mary's Hospital, Sherbrooke in her 92nd year. Born in Smithfield, July 15, 1917, she was a daughter of the late Freeman Henry and Sarah Elizabeth (MacKeen) Smith. She was a resident of Aspen for over 60 years. Prior to moving to Aspen she had worked at West Coast General Hospital, Port Alberni, B.C., and Aberdeen Hospital, New Glasgow as an assistant cook. Muriel was a mail driver in the Aspen, Melrose, Glenelg and Stillwater area for a number of years. She and her late husband, Bruce owned and operated the MacKeen Canteen in Aspen for 10 years. Muriel was a member of Kirk Memorial United Church where she was a choir member Sunday School Superintendent and teacher. She was also a member of the UCW, the Women's Institute, a charter member of the home and school association in Sherbrooke and a member of the Greenfield Oldsters. Muriel was an avid card shark and enjoyed playing cards. She is survived by daughters, Joan (Bill) Wright, Victoria, B.C.; Betty (Robert) Walker, Sackville; sons, Donald (Penny), Bedford; Gary, Aspen; Allan (Gloria) Aspen; grandchildren, Cameron Wright, Melanie (Brett) O'Dell, Kristen (Joey) Giles, Michael Walker (Jenna Anderson), Jillean Walker (Jonathan Carter), Timothy Walker (Nancy Drakes), and great-grandchildren, Katie and Jake, Lily and Austin, Island and Isabel. She will also be sadly missed by her loyal companions, Rosco and Ms. Kitty. She was predeceased by her husband, Bruce Joseph MacKeen; brother, Earl; grandchildren, Holly, William and Tara MacKeen. The family will receive friends from 2-4 and 7-9 p.m. on Thursday in Kirk Memorial United Church, Aspen from where funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. on Friday with Derek G. Elsworth officiating. Burial will be in Evergreen Cemetery. Family flowers only. Donations in her memory may be made to St. Mary's Memorial Hospital, Palliative Care or Kirk Memorial United Church. Arrangements are under the direction of H.W. Angus Funeral Home, New Glasgow. The family would like to thank the nurses and staff of St. Mary's Hospital for their kind, compassionate care giving given to Mom during her lengthy stay.
4 Jan. 2010
GEORGE, Gordon Gardner
- 69, Manchester, Guysborough Co., passed away Monday, January 4, 2010, in St. Martha's Regional Hospital, Antigonish. Born in Manassette Lake, Guysborough Co., he was a son of the late Delbert and Eva (Carter) George. Gordon was a retired operator with the Dept. of Highways, Guysborough, for over 30 years. He was a member of Royal Canadian Legion, Br. 81, Guysborough, and a former member of Bolyston Fire Department. Gordon enjoyed hunting, fishing, curling and spending time with family, playing cards and he loved animals. Gordon is survived by his loving wife, Viola (Lyons); daughters, Hilda, Sydney; Linda (Floyd) Richardson, Manassette Lake; Eileen (Melvin) Pelley, Guysborough; Brenda (Darrell), New Glasgow; Paula (Allan), Manchester; sons, Gordon (Mary) Lyons, Caledonia Mills; Everett (Linda), Marydale; Wayne (Kim), Eastern Passage; Gordie (Michelle), Antigonish; sisters, Victoria (Lewis) Hendsbee, Halfway Cove and Peggy (Gerald) Dacey, Moncton, N.B.; brothers, Albert and Allison (Gail), both of Belmont; Billy and Louis (Marina), both of Manassette Lake; Jimmy (Gail), Antigonish. He is also survived by 12 grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren, and numerous nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by son, Harold; brother, Robert in infancy, and sister, Agatha. Visitation will be held 2-9 p.m. today in Dennis Haverstock Funeral Home, Guysborough. Funeral service 11 a.m. Thursday in Wesley United Church, Guysborough with Rev. Darroch Fagan officiating. Memorial donations in Gordon's memory may be made to a charity of your choice.
4 Jan. 2010
- 62, Toronto, Ont. and formerly of Whitehead, Guysborough Co., passed away peacefully, surrounded by his family, on January 4, 2010, after a courageous battle with ALS. Born in Whitehead, he was a son of the late Herman and Agnes (Rhynold) Rhynold. Harry will be sadly missed by all who knew him. He was the beloved husband of Isobel Jones; loving father to Marie (Steve), Robert (Jen) and Diana; stepfather of Pamela, Angela, Jennifer (Barry) and Caroline (Dan); dear brother of Violet (Duncan), Port Felix; Jim (Mary), Country Harbour; Pat (Flossie), Edna (Murray), Mary (Neil), all of Whitehead; Herman (Karen), Antigonish; Stan (Nancy) Guelph, Ont; 11 grandchildren, one great-grandchild, many nieces and nephews. He was predeceased by sister, Patricia. A celebration of Harry's life will be held Thursday at 11:30 a.m. in the Whitehead Community Centre and all family and friends are welcome to attend.