CLAUNCH-L Archives

Archiver > CLAUNCH > 2001-07 > 0994648344

Subject: Jeremiah Claunch descendents in KY, TN, TX
Date: 8 Jul 2001 21:12:24 -0600

I am going to post parts of a letter that I received back in 1984 from a shirt-tail cousin who was a Claunch researcher at that time. It provides quite a bit of foundational information about Jeremiah Claunch and Pulaski Co., KY descendents who moved farther west.

You may know that the Pulaski Co., KY Claunches descend thru Jeremiah and Jane Claunch. They settled in that area in early 1790's. He must have died in late 1790's and Jane re-married in 1804 to Zachariah Adams. She died 1841 at age 85 and was buried in Flat Lick Church Cemetery. They appear to be living in Washington Co., VA prior to the move into KY.

Ernestine descends from William and Jane Claunch thru their dau., Cassandra, who married Lafayette Moore. She has a letter written in 1928 by Alexander Moore of Ash Grove, MO, who was a son of Cassandra & Lafayette Moore. I have a copy of this letter in which he states the Claunches came from Holland, originally, and that his grandparents, William Claunch and Jennie McKenzie, had 10 children. He named 9 of those children, and we still aren't sure who was the 10th child. The 9 he named were: Betsy Smith, Ann Gastineau, Nancy Yancey, Cyrus, Josiah (later refered to as "Uncle Joe"), Peggy Nichols, Cassa Moore, William, and Jim.

He mentioned that Uncle Joe's two daus., Martha and Amanda, lived "here in Ash Grove," and that "Uncle Jim's son, William, went to Texas many years ago." The letter was signed--Alex Moore.

From this we know the 9 children: 1. William, Jr. died 27 Jun 1847-left a noncupative Will (did not name a wife or any children) 2. Cyrenius--married Minerva M. Huff 3. Josiah AKA "Joseph"--married Elizabeth Moore 4. Nancy married John C. Yancy 5. Anna--marrie William Gastineau 6. Cassandra--marrie Lafayette Moore (bro. to Elizabeth) 7. Margaret "Peggy"--married Thomas B. Nichols 8. Elizabeth--married John Smith, Jr. 9. James-married Susannah Barron 10. ?

We believe William was a son of Jeremiah and Jane Claunch. Jane remarried Zachariah Adams, and she left the bulk of her land to her son, Christopher Claunch, because he took care of her in her old age.

You have a copy of Christopher's Will which names his surviving children. Besides those, we think another son was the Christopher C. or G. Claunch, b. 21 Oct 1816, d. 23 Apr, 1839, buried in James Family Cemetery, next to Christopher. so, for Christopher and Mary "Polly" Hardister Claundh we have these children: 1. Jane--married William Cox 2. Thomas Jefferson--married Dorcas Gillispie 3. Christopher C. of G.--died 1839, buried next to Christopher 4. Nancy--married Patrick Gillispie 5. William M.--married 1st Elizabeth Richardson 6. Mary "Polly" Ann--married Henry S. Guyer 7. Catherine--married William Logan Graves.

The John Claunch who married Susannah Richardson ins 1815--not 1811 was a son of Jeremiah and Jane. There were 2 Johns on 1850 Census which is confusing. The John and Susan on 1850 Census would have been awfully young to have been married in 1815. Yet only one John appears on the earlier census records.

The marriage of Jeremiah Claunch to S. Richardson in Book I is an error. Scratch it! Jeremiah married Elizabeth Kelly and this family migrated to McNairy Co., TN. I believe he was a son of Jeremiah and Jane.

As you probably noticed before, Cyrus and Cyrenius are the same person--my Cyrenius Clounch is the (age 14) one living in the family of Fountain Cundiff. Sarah Hamm was age 17 in the family of Nancey Faris. They were married in 1861 with Nancy Faris, kinship unknown, declaring the bride was 26 yers. old, and the groom was (over) 21.

Hopefully this information will help someone in their research efforts.

This thread: