COUNTRYMAN-L Archives

Archiver > COUNTRYMAN > 2001-12 > 1009754195

Subject: [COUNTRYMAN-L] THROUGH THE STATES A-K AGAIN.
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 18:16:35 EST

Dear Relatives,
First, I have two pieces of very good news. one that I am really
excited about is my son and I just purchased a 2001 Nissan, bright red, super
cab pickup with a lid over the truck bed. I even got to drive it for a short
ways last night. Fun.
The other piece of news will probably interest you more. Managed to get into
another portion of the storage barn today and move a few things around so now
I can get into the filing cabinet with the Civil War Pensions, so if any one
wishes a complete copy of a pension record let me know and as I do now have a
photocopy machine of my own I will gladly send copies to anyone who requests
them.
      Now that the Christmas Holiday is over guess I had best start send you
my data again or I will never get it all sent.
      Shall start with the introduction to the pamphlet I started my research
with, which was written by Gilbert Le Roy Countryman of Bryn Mawr, Pa. I have
contacted his son, back in the late 70's or early 80's, who has all of
Gilbert Le Roy's research papers but he was saving them for his son and did
not wish to share them at that time.

THE COUNTRYMAN-CONDERMAN FAMILY OF AMERICA
by Gilbert Le Roy Countryman

This family name is variously spelled in the older records and may be found
as Konderman, Gonterman, etc. The birth records of some of the children were
located in Enzberg, Germany with the spelling of Gunderman. vjh

The original family name in Unterpfalz (lower or Rhenish Palatinate) in
Germany, was Conterman.(I question this statement. vjh) Lower Palatinate
compromised an area south of the Hunsruck Mountains and roughly bounded by
the cities of Mainz, Worms, Mannheim, Heidelberg, Landau, and Zweibruken. (I
have maps of the area around Fishborn and Enzsberg if anyone wishes copies.
vjh) The first historical mention of Lower Palatinate was when it was ruled
by Herman I in 945. In 1155 the German King Frederick I appointed his
step-brother, Conradt, as Count Palatine. The ruling classes and peoples were
Protestant, and the country furnished aid to people of oppressed faiths,
particularly to the French Huguenots from 1559 to 1576. In 1685, the Conradt
line was replaced by the Neuberg line, who were of the Roman Catholic faith.

In 1688, the German Empire was embroiled in war with Turkey,the French under
Louis XIV moved into Wurttemburg, completely destroyed that province and the
entire lower Palatinate, leveling all cities, including Heidelberg, burned
every dwelling in the land, destroyed all crops, cattle and the personal
belongings of the people, wantonly slaughering all but a few thousand
persons who were left penniless, homeless, and with no means of livelihood.
This group, known as Palatines, were forced to a bare existence of begging,
stealing, and living like savages in the forests where they were ruthlessly
hunted down like wild beasts by the French.

Palatines included both the few surviving members of the aristocracy or
nobility and the serfs or peasant classes. Under such conditions, the more
progressive famillies soon made plans to move to other countries, although it
was several years before a large scale migration was possible. Migration to
countries offering freedom of religious worship was preferred to re-settling
in Germany, where current rulers professed the Catholic faith.

Although the German origin of the Conterman family is lost in antiquity
because all records were burned by the French, it is interesting to speculate
on their background inasmuch as prior to 1685, given names of the elder sons
of the reigning families were invariably Johannas/John, Fredericus/Frederick,
Marcus, or Conradt/Conrad. It has been established that the family name was
Conterman, and not Landsman, which some thought to have been literally
translated to the name Countryman.

JOHANNAS FREDERICUS CONTERMAN with his family, was one of the Palatines who
migrated through what was then the Netherlands (now Belgium) to London,
living for two years on the north bank of the Thames. Tradition has it that
he also remained in the Netherlands for several years, which would put his
departure from Germany at a time soon after the French had withdrawn from his
native land, and it would also accout for a persistant theory that the
Countryman family came from Holland. While in London, he met five Sachems of
the Mohawk tribe of American Indians who had accompanied Major Peter Schuyler
on a visit to England. From them he learned of the natural wealth and
resources of the new world. He made arrangements to migrate to America, his
name on the British passenger lists being anglicized to JOHN FREDERICK
CONTERMAN. He arrived in New York City on June 10, 1710, eventually settling
with other German emigrants in Upstate New York.

Two generations lived and died before any formal schooling was available in
those pioneer times, on what was then the frontier of our country and for
three generations in America the only language they spoke was German. In
fact, the English language did not come into general use in the Mohawk Valley
until after the Revolution. The English speaking peoples in America naturally
translated the guttural German phonetically; thus we have early records of
CONTERMAN, CONTREMAN, KONDERMANN, GUNTERMAN, COUNTRYMAN, CUNTERMAN,
CONDERMAN, etc.

By the third generation, after formal schooling in spelling and writing, the
name Countryman was almost universally adopted, except for one branch of the
family, Adam, son of Conrad, son of John Frederick, who adopted the name of
Condreman. The author, Gilbert L. Countryman, has in his possession an
amusing letter from one bride in another branch of the family who
successfully prevailed upon her husband to change his name from Countryman to
Conderman, confessing that her reason was that she feared her neighbors would
call her a "Country Jake" if her name was Countryman. In the genealogy,
especially in the earlier generations, frequently the various spelllings of
the name were used interchangeably,. When a definite change of name was
officially made, it is so noted.

The genealogy is regrettably incomplete although its research has occupied
the spare time of the author for two decades. It has been compiled from
church, state, and federal record, census records, ancestral letters, records
that have been inherited,etc. Old newspaper files, histories and
comtemporary genelogies availabale in libraries have all contributed their
share. Included is genealogical information compiled by Adam J. Countryman
1784-1870, Solomon Countryman 1808-1875, Abram I. Countryman 1832-1914, Alvin
Countryman 1835-1916, and John E. Countryman 1844-1926. The genealogy
supplements and extends the book published in 1925 entitled "COUNTRYMAN
GENEALOGY" co-authored by John E. and Alvin Countryman.

Only names and dates that have been verified veyond the shadow of a doubt
have been included. Occasionally two names are shown, with one in
parenthesis, this means that records unquestionalby referring to the same
individual use sometimes one and sometimes the other names indicated. It is
probable that both are correct. For example, a name appearing as Mary (Anne)
would mean that sometimes the womean is referred to an Mary, and sometimes as
Anne. The name not in parenthesis is the one most frequently used or the name
appearing in Church or official records. In the example cited above, it is
probable that the woman's name was either Mary Anne, or Anne Mary.

NOW BACK TO THE STATES AND THIER RECORDS BEGINNING WITH A
RETURN TO THE STATES, A-K.

BALDWIN CO., ALABAMA 6/7 Aug 1971
ANTINARELLA-REEDY
The marriage of Miss Diane Rose Antinarella and James Michael Reedy
took place last Thursday evening at St. Lawrence Catholic Church in Fairhope.
The Rev. Patrick F. Foy officiated at the cremony which united in
marriage the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Michael John Antinarella of Fairhope
and the son of Mrs. Linda (Countryman) Reedy of Fairhope and Lt. Cmdr. (Ret.)
James Monroe Reedy of Winter Park, Florida.
The bride, given in marriage by her father, wore a formal gown of
white imported flocked batiste over peau taffeta. Her veil was attached to a
garland of fresh flowers and she carried a colonial bouquet of pink and white
carnations with baby's breath.
Mrs. Theodore Letton Gail,Jr. of Mobile, serving her sister as matron
of honor, wore a long dress of green voile flocked in pink and white. The
bride's other attendants were Miss Jo Anne Dvorak of Daphne and Miss Helen
Rebecca Fleming of Fairhope. They wore full-length dresses of green Trevira
with ruffled pinafores of matching flocked voile. The attendants carried
nosegays of pink and white carnations with baby's breath.
The bridegroom was attended by his cousin, Donald H. Roth of
Charleston, S.C. as best man, David Chatwood of Ripley, Miss., Paul Maradik,
Edward E. Nelson both of Faihope and Michael D. Antinarella, brother of the
bride, were his other attendants.
Following the reception at the Fairhope Elk's Lodge the couple left
for a wedding trip along the Gulf Coast. They will reside in Fairhope.

Saturday-Sunday 8-9 April 1989 Page 7A
WILLIAM COUNTRYMAN
Mr. William "Bill" Davidson Countryman, age 72, a native of Owassa,
Ala. and a resident of Bay Minette, died Sunday, April 2, 1989 in a Mobile
hospital. Mr Countryman was a retired plant engineer with Eastwood Neely. He
was a World War II vetreran having served with the U. S. Army.
He is survived by his wife Gladys Lee (Burleson) Countryman of Bay
Minette; three daughters, Linda C. Swedberg of Austin, Texas, Janice Gorden
of Temple, Texas and Judean Olsen of Crofton, Maryland; one brother, Benjamin
N. Countryman of Georgiana, Ala.; two sisters, Marjorie Joyner of Georgiana,
Ala. and Lois Lee of Wetumka, Ala.; eight grandchildren and six great
grandchildren.
Funeral services were held Wednesday, April 5 at 11 a.m. from the
First Baptist Church of Bay Minette, with Rev. H. B. Shephard officiating.
Interment followed at Bay Minette Cemetery.
Funeral arrangements were by Norris Funeral Home, Inc., Bay Minette.

EASTERN SHORE COURIER Wednesday October 31, 1990 page 7B
FMS STUDENTS QUALIFY FOR DUKE TALENT SEARCH PROGRAM
The following students from Fairhope Middle School are eligible for
the 1990-91 Talent Search: Austin Long is named in a group of 37 children.

Same paper Page 8B HONOR ROLL for Fairhope Middle School
Fifth Grade A's and B's Hayden Long. If I recall correctly this child
is named
Hayden Countryman Long.

MOBILE PRESS REGISTER
Sunday May 23, 1993
LIPSCOMB-COUNTRYMAN ENGAGEMENT
Shortly thereafter
Marriage vows were exchanged June 26 in Old Spanish Fort Baptist
Church by Michelle Deann Lipscomb of Magnolia Springs and David Michael
Countryman. Dana Workman officiated at the ceremony.
Parents of the bride are Mr. and Mrs. G. Gerald Lipscomb of Magnolia
Springs and Mr. and Mrs Murray Countryman are the bridegroom's parents.
The bride was given in marriage by her father and attended by her
sisters, Tiffany Lipscome, maid of honor, Shannon Lipscomb and Angela
Lipscomb of Magnolia Springs and the bridegroom's sister, Linda Countryman.
The bridegroom was attended by his father as best man and by the
bride's brothers, Geoff Lipscomb and Greg Lipscomb of Magnolia Springs; Chris
Eagleson, David Baggett and Mike Trussell.
Amanda Mullins of Kansas City, Mo. was flower girl.
A reception was held at the church. After a wedding trip to Walt
Disney World in Orlando, the couple will reside in Mobile.

BUTLER COUNTY NEWS
1959
Mr. and Mrs. Claiborne H. Joyner of Garland announce the engagement
and approaching marriage of their daughter, Mary Phyllis to Harold Vickery
Davis, son of Mr. and Mrs. Horrie L. Davis of McKenzie. The wedding will take
place May 29th at 6:00p.m. in the Garland Baptist Church Garland, Alabama.
There will be no invitations issued. All friends are invited to attend.

Thursday, June 11, 1959
Miss Mary Phyllis Joyner and Harold Vickery Davis were married Friday,
May 29, in the Garland Baptist Church, at six 0'clock in the evenign, with
the Rev. Neaz Sellers performing the double ring ceremony.
The bride is the daughter of Mr and Mrs. Claiborne Harvey Joyner of
Garland and the groom is the son of Mr. and Mrs Horrie Lavender Davis of
MeKenzie.
Wedding music was presented on the organ by Mrs. Alvin Mixon, Sr.
Gwynne Odom sang "Love Divine", "I'll Walk With God" and as a benediction
"The Lord's Prayer".
The bride given in marriage by her father, wore a waltz length gown of
slipper satin, featuring a fitted bodice, with scalloped neckline embroderied
in seed pearls awith a bouffant skirt. Her shoulder length veil of French
illusion fell from a small crown encrusted with seed pearls and brilliants.
She carried a clutch bouquet of stephanotis and feathered carnation, centered
with a white orchid. Her only ornament was a pearl necklace, a gift of the
groom.
Mrs. Lavaughn Skipper, sister of the bride, was matron of honor. She
wore a gown of heaven blue silk organdy over taffeta, with a float veil
fashioned of the organdy as a head piece. Her flowers were a cascade
arrangement of blue carnations and gardenias.
Donald Robinson of McKenzie served his cousin as best man.
Ushers were Lavaughn Skipper and Charles Brown.
The bride's parents were hosts at the reception in their home.
Assisting in serving were Mrs. J. B. Land of Gadsden, sister of the groom,
and Mrs. B. C. Countryman of Georgiana, aunt of the bride, who served at the
cake table. Serving at the punch table were Miss Bobby Jean Brown, of
McKenzie and Miss Arlene Blackburn. Miss Glenda Kendrick registered the
guests.
For the wedding trip to points on the coast in Mississippi the bride
changed to a wheat colored suit of silk and dacron, with white accessories.
The orchid from her bridal bouquet completed her ensemble.
Among out of town guests were Mrs J. G. Harris, Wallace and Debbie
Harris, Mrs Z. L. Baldwin, Charles Baldwin, Mr and Mrs Ben Countryman, Robin,
Ceinwen, and John Countryman, all of Mobile; Mr Bill Countryman, Linda
Countryman, Bay Minette, Mrs J. B. Land, Lisa and Van Land, Gadsden; Mrs J.
E. Lee, Michael, Gail and Martha Sue Lee, Millbrook; Mrs Frank McGraw,
Andalusia; Mr.M. N. Lloyd,
Mr Bob Lloyd, Red Level; Mrs J. D. Brown, Mrs Lucille Olive, Chapman; Mrs E.
E. Gilmore, Mrs Glenn Gilmore, Mr and Mrs Elton Brown, Mrs Grover McGowin, Mr
and Mrs Rex Huggins, Mrs C. D. Vickery, Mr and Mrs Tom Skipper, McKenzie; Mrs
Jim
Black, Evergreen; Mrs Arthur Ray Norsworthy, Mrs N. E. Sellers, Mrs J. D.
Yancy, Mrs Lee Stamps, Mr and Mrs Herman Pride, Mrs Winston Morgan, Mrs Edgar
Goodwin, all of Georgiana.
On Thursday evening parents of the groom, Mr and Mrs Horrie Davis,
assisted by their daughter, Mr. J. B. Land were hosts, before rehearsal to
members of the wedding party and friends when they served a delicious cold
plate in the Educational Bulding of the Garland Baptist Church. Those
enjoying this hospitality besides the members of the wedding party were Mr.
Alvin Mixon, Mr. Gwynne Odom, Elaine and Muriel Joyner, Timmy Skipper, Mr.
and Mrs Arthur Ray Norsworthy and Donald Ray, Mrs. N. E. Sellers, Miss Arlene
Blackburn and Lisa and Van Land.
The bride-elect was honored with a miscellaneous shower on Saturday,
May 16, when Mrs Johnnie Folmar, Miss Judy Reid, and Mrs Etta Horne were
hostesses at the Masonic Recreation Hall. The Hall was beautifuly decorated
with seasonal cut flowers. The honoree was the recipient of many lovely
gifts.
This is all I can do for today. I've been on this computer most
of the day and it is time I should be doing something else. Not neccessarily
anything more fun but at least something different.

Best Wishes and Happy New Years to All
Verna Countryman Hill

This thread: