CROSSLAND-L Archives

Archiver > CROSSLAND > 2010-02 > 1267353305

From: "Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [CROSSLAND] Crosslands from PA
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:35:05 -0000
References: <5f84e.9e321c3.38bb0bf1@aol.com><8CC8658A96C7A5A-9574-22201@webmail-m049.sysops.aol.com>
In-Reply-To: <8CC8658A96C7A5A-9574-22201@webmail-m049.sysops.aol.com>

HI Jennifer,

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Yorkshire. The Crosland Moor, and North
Crosland area of Huddersfield are almost certainly the family seat where all
Crosland/Crossland named derivatives originally source from. Did you also
see the names of Beaumont (previously Bellomonte or Beaumonte) Lockwood,
Saville, Elland and Quarmby are also very prevalent in the area? There is a
large park in Huddersfield itself named after the Beaumont family, and many
other local landmarks, streets etc are named after these prominent Old
English families.

They have a rather interesting history, which you can find details of on the
internet if you search under "the Elland feud" - it's a story of murder,
revenge, loyalty and treachery which would make a fine Hollywood film but is
all true and forms part of our great English heritage.

Whilst I have no information on your particular line of the family it would
be worthwhile you researching the Jefferson link.
Within my own branch I have a William Toft Crossland and a John Rothery
Crossland and it seems to have been a trend around the early 19th century to
use the mothers maiden name as a middle name for the children. Jefferson
will almost certainly have been used the same way in your line.

Regards

Martin Crossland (Hull, Yorkshire, UK)

"In God we trust. Every one else is a suspect"

-----Original Message-----
From: [mailto:]
On Behalf Of
Sent: 28 February 2010 06:45
To:
Subject: Re: [CROSSLAND] Crosslands from PA

Great to see the Crossland rootsweb being active again. I don't have any
specfic information but I can shed some light on the Crosslands and
Crosslins. I am from the Midwest but did get to the south to do some family
research. As I was in a library I asked a worker there about information on
my family line. I told her my last name and she repeated it. When I heard
it spoken by someone from the South I knew how how Crossland became
Crosslin. The d sounds like it doesn't exist so over time it has been
spelled the way it was pronounced. We also know that almost all last names
have morphed over time into many similar spellings along with some less
similar spellings. After realizing the pronunciation was part of the key to
the different spelling I realized just how connected that we all are. I
also was able to visit Huddersfield England and did some research there.
There are lots of Crosslands there as well as lots of things named after
Crosslands. I was great to see m!
y uncommon name attached to so many things. I have still not been able to
make the connection of my group to a group in England. My family is of the
John Jefferson Crossland line from Tennessee that moved to Bloodland,
Missouri. John Jefferson was a doctor. The area is now on the Fort Leonard
Wood Military base. The cemetery that most of the family is buried is on
the base but they will let you on if you have a reason to be there. The
family group has reunions in the area. I haven't lived in the Midwest in
years so I haven't been able to keep up with the Crossland in southern
Missouri. Good to know all you Crossland are still out there trying to make
connections.
Jennifer Crossland Purdy

-----Original Message-----
From:
To:
Sent: Sat, Feb 27, 2010 3:59 pm
Subject: Re: [CROSSLAND] Crosslands from PA

Always good to hear from folks seeking family info. Our daughter, Janet
rosslin Seamon, is the family historian and I have sent your emails to her.

am sure when she gets home from the LSU baseball game she will
eply...... My husband (James Eugene Crosslin) is the Crosslin link.

n a message dated 2/27/2010 5:20:57 P.M. Central Standard Time,
writes:
Have you any History that Links the Crossland's to the Crosslin's. Thanks
ave
---- Original Message -----
rom: J Dilts
o:
ent: Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:29 PM
ubject: Re: [CROSSLAND] Crosslands from PA

nformation I have on Luke Garrison. Was he a brother to my 3rd
-grandfather Adam Crossland? (Father possibly George G. Crossland from
orkshire, England?).
Luke was b. 12 Oct. 1799 in MD and married Rebecca Riley in 1824, OH.
hey
ettled in Muskingum Co., OH. He died 11 March 1879 in Defiance, OH.
hese are different dates for Luke -This info comes from Dave Whipkey at
ent: Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:29 PM
ubject: Re: [CROSSLAND] Crosslands from PA

Jim,
My line is:
Edward E. (Ted) Crossland (1941-present), from Richard F. Crossland
(1908-1969), from Franklin Richard Crossland (1869-?), from Rev. Cyrus
Milton Crossland (1829-1907), from Luke Garrison Crossland (1805-1883).
After that all is NOT found. Most of this history is in Ohio - from
Zanesville to Defiance, etc... No one knows where Luke came from. Do
ou
know of any connect?
Regards,
Ted Crossland

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Crossland" <>
To: <>
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 5:41 PM
Subject: [CROSSLAND] Crosslands from PA

> My father, Robert M Crossland was from Uniontown, PA. He was born in
> 1919. His father was Andrew Prentice Crossland who died around 1935. I
> know that the Prentice family was a prominent family in the Uniontown
> area
> in the late 19th century. I have seen some family trees where the two
> families intersect.
> -------------------------------
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
> with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
> quotes in the subject and the body of the message

-------------------------------
To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the
quotes in the subject and the body of the message

------------------------------
o unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes

n the subject
nd the body of the message

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.
hecked by AVG - www.avg.com
ersion: 9.0.733 / Virus Database: 271.1.1/2713 - Release Date: 02/27/10
3:34:00
-------------------------------
o unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to
with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes

n the subject
nd the body of the message

------------------------------
o unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to

ith the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of

he message