CROSSLAND-L Archives

Archiver > CROSSLAND > 2010-02 > 1267353305

From: "Martin" <>
Subject: Re: [CROSSLAND] Crosslands from PA
Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 10:35:05 -0000

HI Jennifer,

Glad you enjoyed your visit to Yorkshire. The Crosland Moor, and North
Crosland area of Huddersfield are almost certainly the family seat where all
Crosland/Crossland named derivatives originally source from. Did you also
see the names of Beaumont (previously Bellomonte or Beaumonte) Lockwood,
Saville, Elland and Quarmby are also very prevalent in the area? There is a
large park in Huddersfield itself named after the Beaumont family, and many
other local landmarks, streets etc are named after these prominent Old
English families.

They have a rather interesting history, which you can find details of on the
internet if you search under "the Elland feud" - it's a story of murder,
revenge, loyalty and treachery which would make a fine Hollywood film but is
all true and forms part of our great English heritage.

Whilst I have no information on your particular line of the family it would
be worthwhile you researching the Jefferson link.
Within my own branch I have a William Toft Crossland and a John Rothery
Crossland and it seems to have been a trend around the early 19th century to
use the mothers maiden name as a middle name for the children. Jefferson
will almost certainly have been used the same way in your line.

Regards

Martin Crossland (Hull, Yorkshire, UK)

"In God we trust. Every one else is a suspect"