DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2008-11 > 1228070644

From: "Marie Kerr" <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] NPE Frequency
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 14:29:21 -0500

Here's another reason (in my husband's family):

Parents' acrimonious divorce; mother dies; father remarries and moves across
country. Since the mother's family name had ended when a baby boy died,
this boy was adopted by his mother's twin brother at the urging of the
grandfather. This adoption was done at the age of 13, and the boy consented.
However, the state where this happened in the '60s seals its records, and
had he been younger, this only child may never have known. So, a name lives
on with the DNA of another.

Also, I recall reading some years back in Irish America magazine about
babies from Ireland that were put up for adoption in the US in the early
50s. These were closed adoptions, and there were some heartrending stories
of freckle-faced redheads placed within families where they stood out for
lack of physical resemblance to the rest of the family (and
taunted/shunned). Some of them spent years trying to get to the truth. One
such child was named Doherty, a common one in our group.

I suspect these NPEs happen more frequently than we expect, and I think it
would be fascinating to find out what percentage of our database is men
trying to ascertain their parentage.