DNA-R1B1C7-L Archives

Archiver > DNA-R1B1C7 > 2008-11 > 1228101725

From: Steven Lominac <>
Subject: Re: [R-M222] NPE Frequency
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 21:22:05 -0600

Yes John,
I have read your hypothesis before on the possibility of M222 starting on the continent and hope I can be one piece of the puzzle someday. I have also found the same Latin form and have been through all the similar Irish phonetic forms with this thread before. The Irish forms were pretty much rejected out of hand as there is no historical precedent of the surname in Ireland so I am concentrating on the surnames in Brittany and will just go from there. As I said before, if I can prove a DNA link to the various similar surnames in France and the surname is as old as 8-9 centuries, that could prove to be valuable somewhere down the line. > From: > Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 20:18:56 -0500> To: > Subject: Re: [R-M222] NPE Frequency> > In a message dated 11/30/2008 7:38:27 A.M. Central Standard Time, > writes:> > A connection to Bretagne would probably help the thread in pinpointing one > of the European M222s to a time and place that may be able to help some of > them with their ancestors or perhaps even a starting point for the M222 itself > (yeah I know, blasphemy). This little monastery town in Brittany is some 1400 > years old. > > > That might not be so far fetched, Steve. About a year ago I was researching > the Lominech surname and found that the original form was actually Latin - > Locmenagh = Locus Monachorum, "the place of the monks". The older name was > Moriacum. It is now called Locmine and lies a few miles to the east of Vannes. > > Locminé (Breton: Logunec'h) is a small market town in Brittany in France, > located in the Morbihan département. > > Widipedia has:> > Locminé (Lominoec en gallo et Logunec'h en breton) est une commune > française, située dans le département du Morbihan et la région Bretagne. > > > I'm not sure what that really means except that the the name is not derived > from a Celtic source. It's a contraction of the Latin "locus" for "place." > Therefor there is no need to look for similar derivations from Irish words.> > The similarities can be uncanny.> > There is a townland in Ireland called Lomaunaghroe, in Irish, Lománach > Ruadh, translation, the red bare land (Parish of Clonbern, Galway). Its bounded on > the west by Leamanaghbaun, which I suppose means the white bare land. > Apparently there is at least one other townland of the same name in Co. Cork > (Cooleenlamane, Cuilin Lomanach (bare remote place). > > The Wikipedia entry states the name Locmine is Lominoec in French.> > > John> > > > > > > > > > > > > > **************Life should be easier. So should your homepage. Try the NEW > AOL.com. > (http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp&icid=aolcom40vanity&ncid=emlcntaolcom00000002)>; R1b1c7 Research and Links:> > http://clanmaclochlainn.com/R1b1c7/>; -------------------------------> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
Proud to be a PC? Show the world. Download the “I’m a PC” Messenger themepack now.
hthttp://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/119642558/direct/01/

This thread: