Dutch-Colonies-L Archives

Archiver > Dutch-Colonies > 2001-02 > 0981986734

From: "Lorine McGinnis Schulze" <>
Subject: [D-Col] Re: Pursell/Van Hook/Sickels/Parent/Peelen/Peeren query
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:05:34 -0500

On 10 Feb 2001, at 10:49, John H. Camp [Email wrote:

> Zacharias SICKELS - Anna VAN VALKENBURG
> Elizabeth SICKELS - William (*****)
> Debora (*****) - Hendrick VAN HOOK
> Mary VAN HOOK - Thomas PURSELL
>

> As you may guess, the problem lies in the surnames for the
> people designated
> as (*****). I have seen the surname rendered as PARENT,
> PEELEN, and PEEREN
> (and maybe even BARENTSE).

Dear John

Let's add to the mix. :-)

At the 1691 bpt of their son Willem, in the Albany Reformed
Church, Willem is shown as BARENT.

Willem, of Willem Barent and Lysbet Sikkels.

In 1693 in Albany at the bpt of Maria, he is shown as
PEEREN

Maria, of Wilhem Peeren and Lysbeth Sikkel

In 1693 he appears with his wife as a witness for another
couple, and here he is rendered as PEER

Wit.: Wilhem Peer, Lysbet Sikkel

In the Reformed Dutch Church of New Amsterdam/New York
baptisms (Purple edition), you will find the surname as
PARRENT in the 1695 bpt of Josias.

Willem Parrent, Elisabeth Sickels - Josias.

At the bpt in 1697 of daughter Elizabeth, the surname is
rendered as PAREN.

Willem Paren, Elisabeth Sikkels - Elisabeth

Although the Van Valkenburg Family in America book (V1)
shows him as William Barantse, I would not put much faith in
that without a source.

Have you found a marriage record for this couple? Where was
the child Debora bapt that you list above? Can you find any of
the 4 children above as adults to see what surname they are
using?

Lorine

Lorine McGinnis Schulze

The Olive Tree Genealogy