ENG-LAN-BOLTON-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LAN-BOLTON > 2003-09 > 1062862980

From: kiddle <>
Subject: [ENG-LAN-BOLTON] re Ormrod, Higson, McGowan, Crompton
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2003 08:44:00 -0700

Hello, my name is Bernice McGowan and I ve in British Columbia,
Canada.
Both my paternal grandparents came from Bolton and lived in the
Rosamond
Street area on the 1881 census. I am stuck with my great-great
grandparents- James ORMROD and Jane Ormrod (formerly HIGSON). I have
found them living in Cannon Street on the 1851 census, but I have not
been able to find a marriage record for them
in the GRO. ( Perhaps they were married before 1837?) Their oldest
child on the census was born about 1841. I am also trying to trace any

other descendants, as my grandmother had no siblings.
Their children were Oliver, b. ca 1841, John b. ca 1843 and died 1897,
Mary, b ca 1846 (my great grandmother), James b. ca 1848, Alice, b. 1850
and died 1938, Samuel, b. 1853, Martha, b. ca 1860 (married Fred
VICKERS) and William, b. ca 1864.
Their son John apparently had sons John and Daniel, and daughter Martha
had daughters Elizabeth and Jane
Family story is that James was a brickmaker, from a long line of Bolton
Ormrods, and later owned a pub called the Waggon and Horses and then
managed the Railway Hotel. Apparently his wife Jane also came from a
family of brickmakers from Bolton.
Names I am trying to search in this line are ORMROD, HIGSON,
VICKERS AND SMETHURST
I am also wondering if there is a connection to another Ormrod
family found at #7 Cannon Street on the 1851 census. This is Thomas and

Alice- also listed as a brickmaker, stone merchant and city councillor.
The other side of the family includes MC GOWAN and CROMPTON. My
grandmother Jane Alice Ormrod, married Ralph McGowan(en) and they
emigrated to Victoria BC ca 1910. Ralph's mother was Harriet CROMPTON,
whose parents apparently were undertakers.
If anyone can find James and Jane on the 1841 census or have any
suggestions as to finding a marriage record for them I would be very
appreciative. Thanks, Bernice

This thread: