ENG-LAN-BOLTON-L Archives

Archiver > ENG-LAN-BOLTON > 2003-09 > 1063030416

From: "Valerie @ ntlworld.com" <>
Subject: Re: [ENG-LAN-BOLTON] re Ormrod, Higson, McGowan, Crompton
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:13:36 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: kiddle <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2003 4:02 PM
Subject: [ENG-LAN-BOLTON] re: Bolton pubs

My g-g grandfather James Ormrod, according to a letter from his grandson,
> John Yates, started a pub called the Waggon & Horses " in the Liverpool
> Road....just a stone's throw from Rosamond Street", which he later lost
> in a bad deal. He later became the manager of the Railway Hotel, also
> on the Liverpool Road.

Bernice,

I believe that the road your ancestor called the Liverpool Road, was in fact
what is now St. Helens Road. Rosamund Street runs parallel. I have found
James and Jane ORMROD on the 1861 census, address Beerhouse on Daubhill in
the Rumworth area of Bolton. Daubhill later became St. Helens Road. I
don't know whether this is the Railway Hotel or the Wagon and Horses, but on
the 1891 census the address of the Railway Hotel is No. 2 St. Helens Road,
very close to Rosamund Street. (Do we have anyone on the list familiar with
this area of Bolton?).

Incidentally, there was a brickworks higher up St. Helens Road near the old
Daubhill Station.

I have also found Thomas and Alice ORMROD on the 1861 census living at 50
Cannon Street, occupation brick maker, stone dealer and farmer - no mention
of town councillor, born Lostock. On the 1891 are the following:

56 Rosamund Street Mary ORMROD, 45 Washerwoman, born Bolton
Jane A ORMROD, daur aged 7 born Bolton
William ORMROD, brother, aged 27 Occupation
Guardsman

65 Rosamund Street Hannah ORMROD, Widow, 50, Cotton Weaver, born Rumworth
Margaret, daur, 19 Cotton Weaver, born
Rumworth
Mary Jane, daur, 15 Cotton Weaver, born
Rumworth
Elizabeth (SOUTHAM?), granddaughter, age 10
born Rumworth

Could Hannah be Oliver's widow?

Valerie