GA-NATIVEAMERICANS-L Archives

Archiver > GA-NATIVEAMERICANS > 2008-07 > 1216475241

From: "" <>
Subject: Re: [GA-NATIVEAMERICANS] Native American Search
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:47:21 -0000

Author: gvnroberson
Surnames: Ammons
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/topics.ethnic.natam.intertribal.ga/121.1/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hi Peggy, I do have Ammons in my family from N.C., S.C. and GA. that is believed to have American Indian Ancestors. I have done a lot of research on my Family. My line starts with a John Jacob in N.C., then John Thomas, William, I have two Grt Grt Grt Grandmothers who are Ammons, and I have two Grt Grt Grandmothers who are Ammons. The Ammons surname has connections to four tribes that I know of: Coree/Coharie, Lumbee, Saponi and Cheraw. The Ammons surname is beleived to be an early Lumbee name that possibly originated with the Saponi in the mid 1700's. It is found in the Coharie tribe today and known to originate with a Jesse Ammons but his parentage has been in question. It also has strong connections to the Sumter Band of Cheraw Indians in Sumter County, S.C. Contact me and I may be able to help you with your Ammons family. Thanks.

Important Note: