GEN-DE-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-DE > 1996-08 > 0841465367

From: Carmen Jercic <>
Subject: Re: Definition of Instmann?
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 1996 21:22:47 -0700

> Adalbert Goertz responds >>>>>>>>>>>>
>
> Yes, we had Instleute on our estates in East Prussia until 1945/
> They were our farm hands being paid by the day (not hour). They had
> lodging, deputat (grain,feed, pasture for their cow, fowl, pigs)

Thank you for the info. I could not find this defined in any german
dictionary or genealogical reference books on german genealogy.

I'm trying to get a picture of what my ancestors life was like. Instmann
sounds as if it was temporary work. His father occupation was a Bauer.
My GGrandfather was an Instmann and Kutscher in Cadinen. I think a
Kutscher is a coachman. Was this common work in rural areas? Or is it a
fair assumption that he was probably a kutscher at the Kaiser's Gut in
Cadinen. I know that my GGrandfather and GGrandmother were suppose to be
the oversee's of the Gut at one time.

Carmen

This thread: