GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-06 > 0929934119

From: Reedpcgen< >
Subject: Gaveston, Driby and Mallory
Date: 21 Jun 1999 03:01:59 GMT

I looked into a few more things to clarify the error of Hamilton's statements.

CPR 1361-4, Edw. III, 12:519-20 is the source Hamilton cites for the conclusion
that Amy de Gaveston's husband John de Driby died leaving his sister Alice as
his heir. The actual text of the record proves beyond doubt that the John de
Dryby named in the patent roll was not Amy's husband, but the John we have
already discussed whose sister and heir Alice married Sir William Bernake.

"John de Dryby at the time of his death gave the castle of Tatersale to John de
Kirketon, knight... and that the said John de Kirketon occupied the manors of
Tumby, Kirkeby on Bayne and Skrymyhalle in Kirkeby... and that after the death
of the said John de Dryby and Alice, his sister and heir, and John de Bernake,
son and heir of the said Alice, John son and heir of the said John de Bernak
being within age and in the king's ward ... and that after the death of the
said John son of John Bernak who died in his nonage, William brother and heir
of the said John son of John Bernak, was within age and in the king's ward...."

Hamilton really blundered here. He should have understood that there were two
different John de Dribys from the patent rolls he himself cited, if nothing
else, let alone the inquisitions we have already posted that should have been
easily accessible to him. He also questioned whether Alice de Driby, who died
in 1412, could be daughter of Amy de Gaveston, who appears to have married
about 1338 and died in 1340 (possibly in childbirth). But the succession of
Breedon, co. Leics., and other lands prove the identity, as does her own
statement in her will (dated in April and proved 26 October 1412, recorded in
the Lincoln Episcopal registry), when she stipulated that prayers should be
said for her parents John Dryby and Amie [called Anne in the printed account]
his wife.

Amy de Gaveston married John de Driby about 1338, and died in 1340. her only
known child, Alice de Driby, apparently born in 1340, married three [if not
four] times, (1) Sir Robert Touchet/Tuchet, (2) Ralph Basset, Lord Basset of
Sapcote, and (3) Sir Anketil Mallory. Hunt theorized (TAG 40:97) that Alice
married a fourth time, to Sir William Papworth. But he was here wrong again.
Alice de Driby died in 1412. Alice, the wife of Sir William Papworth, survived
him (he died without issue on 4 September 1414) and died 7 July 1416. The
remainder of his lands had been granted to William son of Anketil Mallory and
his heirs, so Elizabeth, daughter of William Malore, aged twenty and more, was
found to be heir on that account [CIPM 20:165 (no. 524), 101 (no. 324)].

Alice de Driby had no known children by her first husband. She had one
surviving child by Ralph Basset, the Elizabeth Basset who was born 18 July
1372. Ralph, Lord Basset died 17 July 1378. Alice must have married shortly
thereafter, by 1380, to Sir Anketil Mallory. He was apparently married before
this, and he is supposed to have made a grant to a daughter in 1360, knighted
by 1361, and was lord of Kirkby Mallory in 1346 [see S. V. Mallory Smith, _A
History of the Mallory Family_ (Chichester, 1985), passim].

Sir Anketil Mallory died 26 Mar. 1393, his will being made in 1390, and proved
16 April 1393. His heir was his son Thomas, then aged twelve years and more
[born in or before 1380/1]. Thomas married, by 1407, Margaret de Grendon.
They had surviving one child, Elizabeth, who was aged 11 when she was found
heir in certain lands to her grandmother Alice, widow of Ralph Basset, knight,
who had died 12 October 1412 [CIPM 19:372-4, nos. 1031-5]. Elizabeth became
the wife of Sir Robert Ever/Eure.

Alice de Driby also mentioned her son William in her will. He was found to be
aged thirty years and more [several more] in 1415/16, and by his wife,
Margaret, had a daughter named Elizabeth whose year of birth is given variously
between 1391 and 1401. Sir William mallory served as Member of Parliament in
1433.

So we have two sons born to Alice de Driby by her husband Anketil Mallory,
Thomas, born about 1380, and William, born say about 1381. I would think Alice
might have borne these children of Anketil in less than two year intervals, as
she is also supposed to have had two, and possibly three daughters by him:
Beatrix/Beatrice Mallory, who married Sir John Bagot of Blifield, co. Stafford;
Mary/Margaret/ Margery Mallory, who married Sir Robert Moton, of Peckleton; and
a daughter named Elizabeth, mentioned only in the 1619 visitation, and
therefore probably fictional (taking Alice's chronology into account).

As Alice was born in 1340, before or at her mother Amy's death, she would be
forty in 1380, when Thomas Mallory was born. If we have another son and two
daughters born (but some could be twins), all her Mallory children must have
been born when she was in her forties (my mother was one month shy of 45 when I
was born, so this is not impossible). Alice was called Alice Basset in 1405
[CIPM 18:359, no. 1043], and styled herself "Alicia Basset de Bytham" in her
will. The original will, which I have not seen, is in the Lincoln Episcopal
Registry, v. 15, f. 66d.

Two side notes:

For those curious, I noticed that the division of the de Clare inheritance is
listed in detail in Appendix II (pp. 304-5) of Michael Altschul's _A Baronial
Family in Medieval England: The Clares, 1217-1314 (Baltimore, 1965).

It does look like John de Driby [not Amy's husband] was younger brother of
Simon, whose heir was his brother Robert. A commission of oyer and terminer
was to inquire about Joan, late wife of Robert de Dryby, Simon son of Robert de
Dryby and John his brother, who were accused by the Abbot of Revesby of
breaking into his park at Tumby, co. Lincs., hunting deer and swine, carrying
away horses, upsetting carts, etc. [CPR 1301-7, Edw. I, 4:278, dated 24 June
1304.]

Joan de Dryby, Simon and John, "her sons," and others were accused of carrying
off hay from Thornton near Horncastle on 8 Nov. 1307 [CPR 1307-13, Edw. II,
1:37]. But Simon prospered, and was called King's yeoman on 18 Jan. 1314 [CPR
1313-17, Edw. II, 2:83]. He received many grants and held many positions of
trust before his death. Hunt has concluded that John was the eldest son, but
as Robert was called Simon's brother and heir in 1323, I would think that
proves John was third son, as John would have been Simon's heir if he were
indeed eldest. Hunt had also theorized (TAG 37:47) that Amy de Gaveston's
husband John de e Driby was illegitimate son of this John de Driby, youngest
son of Robert de Driby and his wife Joan de Tatteshale. But Hunt was proved
wrong here too as the Leicestershire fine proved our John's father was named
Thomas. (You can see where rampant speculation and a little knowledge of
sources gets you.)

pcr

This thread: