GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-06 > 0930027129

From: Reedpcgen< >
Subject: Driby et al.
Date: 22 Jun 1999 04:52:09 GMT

I can't see that AOL sent this message, which I posted this morning, and it's
not on dejanews, so I'll post it again.

Doug remarked that Amy de Gaveston was alive in 1340, and did not die when her
lands were granted to John Brocas.

You are right. I had erred by following Hamilton, and I should not have.
Hamilton says (p. 177) that Amie de Gaveston "appears in the record sources
between 1332 and 1340 as a damsel of the chamber of Queen Philippa...." And
(p. 183), "By 1340 Amie de Gaveston had apparently died, for in May of that
year both her lands in Essex and the manor of Wokefield were granted by the
king to the knight John Brocas [citing CPR 1338-1340, p. 522]." And finally,
on p. 185, "Since Amie de Gaveston had apparently died by 1340,...."

The actual CPR reads: "Grant to John Brocas that the lands in Donemowe, co.
Essex ..., and the lands in Wokefeld held for life by Amy de Gaveston of the
king's grant, shall remain to him in fee, to wit the lands in Essex as of the
value of 10l. 5s. yearly and those in Wokefeld as of the value of 11l. 2s.
yearly, as appears by the extents...." [dated 18 may 1340]

So the lands were actually to remain to him in fee, after her death. That Amy
was still alive at that time seems apparent from the only other entry for her
in 1340 [the last specific mention of her], dated 12 June 1340:

Mandate to John de Dryby and Anne [sic, Amie] his wife to attorn in the usual
manner to John Brocas for the services due from lands in Wokefeld, which they
hold for the life of Anne of the king's grant, the king having granted the
reversion of those lands to him in fee.

But if Amy disappears in records listing the Queen's damsels after 1340, it
makes one wonder is she long survived. The 12 June 1340 mention of Amy is the
last mention of her in record that I am aware of. The important point of this
is that IF Amy survived a few years after 1340, it would reduce the age of her
daughter and heir Alice. Therefore Alice might have not been near forty-five
years old at the death of her last Mallory child.

As to the Evers/Eure descendants, Farnham (p. 18) cites de banco roll 807 for a
suit involving Robert Evers, the elder, over land, etc., in Breedon. "Robert
Evers comes and says that he long ago took to wife Elizabeth Malory and he and
Elizabeth were seised, as in right of Elizabeth, of the said tenements, the
reversion of which should descend to Robert, son of the said Robert and
Elizabeth [dated Hilary 2 Edward IV (1463)]. The IPM of Robert Evere, taken at
Leicester on 20 April 1480, found he died 3 Feb. 19 Edward IV, seised of Bredon
by the courtesy of England after the death of Elizabeth, his wife. His
granddaughters, Anne Constable, aged 17, Isabel Constable, aged 15 1/2, and
Elena Thwaites, aged 13, are his next heirs, daughters of Robert Evere,
deceased, son and heir of the said Robert Evere named in this writ.

The printed transcript of Alice Basset's will [Alfred Gibbons, _Early Lincoln
wills..._ (Lincoln, 1888), pp. 110-111], reads in part:
[dated] Thursday before Feast of St. Alphage, 1412.
Masses for my soul, and the souls of Sir Ralph Basset, Sir Robert Tochet, and
Sir Anketin Malores, my former husbands; of John Dryby and Anne his wife, my
late parents; and for all my ancestors & c.
My daughter Elizabeth, wife of Lord de Grey....
My daughter Margery, wife of Rob. Moton knight.
My daughter Beatrice, wife of Sir John Bagot knight.
My son William Maloree.
Elizabeth dau. of Sir Thos. Maloree knt.

So Alice de Driby definitely had two sons and two daughters by her husband Sir
Anketil Malory. The daughter named Elizabeth attributed to the couple in the
1619 visitation is probably an error for her daughter Elizabeth, daughter by
her husband Ralph Basset.

DRIBY DESCENT

The following summarizes what I know about the Driby family from primary
sources.

I. de Driby
CHILDREN:
1. Sir Simon de Driby [see below].
2. Hugh de Driby [liv. 32 Edw. I], who with his brother Ralph was called
brother of Simon in a fine dated 6 Edw. I.
3. Sir Ralph de Driby, of Lavington, father of Hugh de Driby who was liv. 1318.
Ralph apparently also had two daughters, Audrina and Isabel, who were
mentioned in a fine dated 8 Edw. II.

II. Sir Simon de Driby married Alice, daughter of Hugh Fitz Ralph [apparently
by Agnes de Greasley]. She is specifically called his daughter in an assize
record abstracted in _Lincolnshire Notes & Queries_ 3:239-40. Alice's brother,
Ralph FitzHugh, son and heir apparent of Hugh FitzRalph by Agnes, daughter and
heir of Ralph de Greasley [of Greasley, co. Notts.], left one daughter and
heir, Eustache, her grandfather's heir, who married (1) Sir Nicholas de
Cauntelo, and (2) Sir William de Ros, of Ingmanthorpe [CP 11:117-18]. This
William de Ros also had interests in the manor of Lavynton, which was held of
him by Simon de Driby in 1286.
CHILDREN:
1. Robert de Driby [see below].
2. Beatrix de Driby, m. Robert de Kyrketon, son of William.

III. Robert de Driby, called son of Simon in a fine dated 8 Edw. I, married
the coheiress Joan de Tatteshale. At their marriage, Robert was given 1/3 part
of the manor of Lavington. She survived him, and I have already posted
information about her. Court records state this couple had three sons, who
died without issue, and a daughter, Alice, who became their heir.
CHILDREN:
1. Simon de Driby, who died without issue [writ dated 8 Aug. 1322], leaving his
wife Margery as relict.
2. Robert de Driby, aged 40 in 1322, heir to his brother Simon, d. s. p.
3. John de Driby, aged 40 in 1329, heir to his mother, d. s. p. 1334, his wife
"Hugelina" apparently having predeceased him. John, son of Simon, and his wife
Hugelina, were mentioned in a fine dated 13 Edw. II.
4. Alice de Driby, aged 50 in 1334, m. Sir William Bernake, who died in 1339.
Their son and heir John was aged 32 in 1341, d. 1349, m. Joan Marmion, daughter
of John [Lord Marmion], and sister and coheir of Robert Marmion. She
afterwards married Sir John Folville, of Ashby Folville, Leics. (d. ca. 1363).
John and Joan had three children: (1) John Bernake, who died in his minority,
(2) William, aged 28 in 1349, d.s.p. 1360, and (3) Maud, heir of her brothers,
aged 23 in 1360, d. 10 April 1419, m. Ralph Cromwell, Lord Cromwell.

We know our John de Driby, husband of Amy de Gaveston, was son of Thomas de
Driby. I estimate Thomas's birth to be sometime about 1270-85, about the time
Robert de Driby's chidren were born.

As Simon de Driby had two younger brothers, both of whom qualified for
knighthood [Ralph was knighted with Edward, Prince of Wales, 22 May 1306, Hugh
qualified for knighthood, but may have died first.], I see no reason to believe
Thomas was a younger son of Simon. He could just as easily have been a more
distant cousin. John, son of Thomas, received the manor of Breedon as a
remainder. As he did not inherit Abkettleby, as it was Tatershall land, he
probably received it in the same manner.

pcr

This thread: