GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 1999-07 > 0932623061

From: Suzanne Doig<smd49@*!*its.canterbury.ac.nz >
Subject: Re: Stewarts of Castlemilk
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 1999 05:57:41 GMT

On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 12:52:25 -0600, Brent Miller <>
wrote:

>The following is from a 1792 chart (Brown, John, "An Historical and
>Genealogical Tree of the Royal Family of Scotland"), a copy of which I
>bought at Traquair House in Scotland:
>
>Alexander, 6th High Steward, d. 1283, m. Jean, dau. of Angus, L. of Bute
>Sir John Stewart of Bonkill, d. 1298, Falkirk, m. Margaret, dau. and
>heir of Sir Alexander de Bonkill
>Sir Allan Stewart of Dreghorn, d. 1333, Hallidon Hill, m.
>Sir Alexander Stewart of Crookston and Darnly, m. Janet, dau. of Sir
>William Keith
>Sir William Stewart, Sheriff of Tiviatdale, m.
>Sir William Stewart of Castlemilk, m.
>Sir David Stuart of Castlemilk, m.
>Archibald Stuart of Castlemilk, m.
>William Stuart of Castlemilk, m. Marion Norvel, heiress of Cardonald
>Alexander Stuart of Castlemilk, m.
>Archibald Stuart of Castlemilk, m. Margaret Maxwell of Newark
>Sir David Stuart of Castlemilk, m. Jean, dau. of Craigends
>Sir Archibald Stuart of Castlemilk, m. Janet, dau. of Sir James Stewart
>of Minto
>Sir Archibald Stuart of Castlemilk, m. Anne, dau. of Robert, L. Semple
<snip>

I can't comment on the source, but this differs in some respects from
the line posted here some time ago (by whom, I can't remember),
derived from the 'Stewart Clan Magazine' of November 1927. I don't
think it linked John Stewart back to the Bonkyl line:

Sir John Stewart of Castlemilk

Sir William Stewart of Castlemilk

Matthew Stewart of Cassilton and Castlemilk (3rd son) d.c. 1475

~~

The less than reliable Burke's Landed Gentry gives from here on:

Matthew Stewart of Cassilton and Castlemilk d.c. 1475

William Stewart of Cassilton d.c.1495 = Marion Norvel of Cardonald

Alexander Stewart of Castlemilk d.c.1523 = Margaret Stewart of Minto *

Archibald Stewart of Castlemilk d.c.1541 = Margaret Maxwell

Archibald Stewart of Castlemilk d. 1532/41

David Stewart of Castlemilk d.c. 1557 = Janet Cuninghame (dau of
William Cuninghame, 2nd Laird of Craigends and Giles Campbell of
Loudoun)

Archibald Stewart of Castlemilk d.1612 = Janet Stewart of Minto

~~

The Stewart of Minto line was also related, according to BLG:

John Stewart =
Margaret Bonkyl
__________|________________
| |
Alan StewartWalter Stewart
of Darnley of Dalswinton ?
| | |
Alexander StewartWalter StewartJohn Stewart
of Darnleyof Dalswintonof Castlemilk
| | |
Alexander Stewart of |William Stewart
Darnley = NN Turnbull |of Castlemilk
| | |
William Stewart ========Marion StewartWalter Stewart
of Minto |of Arthurlie (4th son)
| |
William Stewart Walter Stewart
of Dalswinton = of Arthurlie =
Elizabeth DouglasJanet Cameron
| |
Thomas Stewart ================= Isabel Stewart
of Minto| of Arthurlie

Margaret Stewart of Minto *
= Alexander Stewart of
Castlemilk d.c.1523
~~

Suzanne

Suzanne Doig - remove obvious from reply-to address
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Academy/4038/index.htm

This thread: