GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2000-05 > 0959043009

From: "Kevan L. Barton" <>
Subject: Knollys/Baron/Wrottesley
Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 20:50:09 -0400

Folks,

I'm hoping you can assist me yet once again. A few months back I posted a
question on
the William Baron (Berry, Berrer) family of Reading, Berks., who's daughter
and heiress Jane married (abt 1456) Sir Walter Wrottesley of Wrottesley,
Staffordshire.

William Baron, Esq., of Reading, one of the Tellers of the Exchequer, was
"the head of an ancient family which had been settled for many years in
Berkshire." Their arms have been quartered with Wrottesley since the 15th
century. (quarterly- Or three piles Sable, a quarter Ermine - for
wrottesley; and gules, a chevron Azure, between three garbs Or - for Baron
of Reading.

Walter Wrottesley (d. 1473)and Jane Baron left four sons - Richard, William,
Walter, and Henry - and five daughters: Jane, Thomasine, Anne, Margaret, and
Parnell. Richard succeeded Sir Walter as his heir. William succeeded to
the greater part of his mother's property in Berkshire and was placed in the
Household of Henry VII on the access of that monarch, as one of the Esquires
of the King's Body. His will, in which he is styled William Worttesley, of
Redynge, in the co. of Berks, is dated 26 December 1512 and proved 4
February 1512. I do not know who William married, but his daughter,
Elizabeth, married Sir William Ayscough of South Kelsey, Lincolnshire.
Anne, one of the daughters of Elizabeth and William, was burnt as a heretic
at Smithfield in 1546. Their oldest daughter, Faith, is my ancestor.

In the Bodleian Library, a contemporary book which formerly belonged to the
nunnery of Dartford,
shows the arms of Knollys quartering Baron, viz. - gules, a chevron embowed
azure between three garbs or, and a pedigree showing that William Baron
married Joan the daughter of thomas Knollys of North Mimms. This Thomas
Knollys was grandson of another Thomas Knollys, who was twice Lord Mayor of
London, and died in 1445.

The questions I need answers for are:

1) Who did William Wrottesley marry?
2) Does anyone know of a pedigree of the Baron family? and
3) Any history of the Knollys?

Sources:

"History of the Family of Wrottesley of Wrottesley, co. Stafford" by
Major-Gen the Honble. George Wrottesley (Exeter: William Pollard & Co.,
1903)

"The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire", by the Rev. Stebbing Shaw
(London: J. Nichols and Son, 1850)Vol. II, part 1.

This thread: