GEN-MEDIEVAL-L ArchivesArchiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2001-02 > 0982844166
From: (John Ravilious)
Subject: Campbell of Loudoun (was: Odp: Re: CAMPBELL, Geo, Kt., of Loudon)
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 07:16:06 -0500
Thursday, 22 February, 2001
The pedigree of the Campbells of Loudoun (down to the marriage of the heiress of Campbell of Lawers, first Earl of Loudoun) follows.
1. Sir Colin Mor [aka Colin mac Gillespie], lord of Loch Awe, d. 1296
1. Sir Neil Campbell, lord of Loch Awe, supporter of Robert 'the' Bruce
(progenitor of the Earls of Argyll as well as Breadalbane and Glenorchy branches)
2. NN (daughter), m. Angus Mor mac Donald, lord of Islay (progenitors
of MacDonald, Lord of the Isles)
3. Sir Donald Campbell (next)
2. Sir Donald Campbell, laird of Benderloch; m. Amabila. Issue:
3. Sir Duncan Campbell, laird of Red Castle and Loudoun (de jure uxoris),
m. Susanna Craufurd or Crawford, daughter and heiress of Sir Reginald
Crawford of Loudoun, Sheriff of Ayr (d. 1307). Issue:
4. Sir Andrew Campbell, laird of Loudoun and Sheriff of Ayr, d. after 1368.
5. Sir Hugh Campbell, laird of Loudoun, d. after 1430. Issue:
6. George Campbell, laird of Loudoun; Sheriff of Ayr 1426. d. before 1484.
7. Sir George Campbell, laird of Loudoun; Sheriff of Ayr, witness to royal
charter 16 May 1450; m. Elizabeth Stewart [parentage unknown]. Issue:
8. Sir George Campbell, laird of Loudoun; Sheriff of Ayr, charter dated
4 July 1489. D. before 1 August 1496 (date of contract between his
widow and William Cuningham, of Craigends). M. 1st [IT IS SAID] a
daughter of Gilbert Kennedy, Lord Kennedy. Issue:
1. Hugh Campbell (next)
2. George Campbell, laird of Killock
3. Isabel Campbell, m. Robert Erskine, Lord Erskine
4. Margaret Campbell, m. Sir Alan Lockhart
He m. 2nd Marion Auchinleck, daughter and heiress of Sir John
Auchinleck of that Ilk (he d. after 1499). Issue:
1. Annabela Campbell, held heiress to barony of Auchinleck [more
later], m. 1st Thomas Boswell, laird of Auchinleck through royal
intervention after 1499; k. at Flodden, 1513; she m. 2nd John
Cuninghame, laird of Caprington
[issue: Boswell, laird of Auchinleck; descendants include James
Boswell, famed author and biographer of Dr. Johnson]
*NOTE: SP erroneously assigns her as daughter of her half-brother,
2. Giles [Gelis] Campbell, m. William Cuningham, 2nd laird of Craigends
after 1 August 1496 (per contract between William Cuningham his
father and Marion Auchinleck, widow of Campbell of Loudoun and 2nd
wife of his father)
[issue: Gabriel Cuningham, 3rd laird of Craigends. Descendants:
Alexander Hamilton, first Secretary of the Treasury; also Daniel
Roberdeau, member, 2nd Continental Congress and signer of the
Articles of Confederation]
3. Margaret Campbell.
4. Janet Campbell.
9. Sir Hugh Campbell, laird of Loudoun, d. 1508. M. Isabel Wallace,
daughter of Sir Hugh Wallace of Craigie. Issue:
10. Sir Hugh Campbell, laird of Loudoun, Sheriff of Ayr, d. after 10
August 1546. M. Elizabeth Stewart, daughter of the Earl of Lennox.
11. Sir Matthew Campbell, laird of Loudoun, Sheriff Of Ayr, d. after
1574. M. Isobel Drummond, daughter of Sir John of Innerpeffry. Issue:
12. Sir Hugh Campbell, laird of Loudoun, created Lord Loudoun 30 June
* * * * *
Hope the foregoing helps.
Good luck, and good hunting.
"Sebastian Tuszynski" <> wrote:
> Well, as you have Burke's Peerage you can simply look at it under LOUDOUN. But it doesn't give lineage between Andrew CAMPBELL of Loudoun, son of Duncan (son of Donald, younger brother of Neil, ancestor of the main line of earls of Argyll) and his descendant (in 8th degree) - Matthew of Loudoun (father of the 1st lord of Loudoun). That George CAMPBELL wuold be somewhere here... Maybe somebody has the full lineage between this two persons?
> Sebastian Tuszynski
> <<< <> 21.02 16:28 >>>
> In a message dated 2/20/01 2:26:57 PM Central Standard Time,
> > Burke's Peerage, under ERSKINE, E has Robert, 4th L Erskine m 1485 Isabella
> > dau of Sir George Campbell, of Loudon. Under BREADALBANE, E John, Kt., of
> > Lawers, PER who d 1513 [son of Colin Campbell, 1st Kt of Glenorchy] is given
> > as the ancestor of the Loudon line. The dates don't quite add up here, can
> > anyone shed any light on this?
> > TIA
> From Complete Peerage
> IV. 4. ROBERT (ERSKINE), LORD ERSKINE [SCT], 1st son and heir. He married.
> (marriage charter 1485) Isabel, 1st da. of Sir George CAMPBELL, of Loudoun,
> by his 1st wife, who is said to have been a daughter of Gilbert (KENNEDY),
> 1st LORD KENNEDY [SCT]. He died 9 September 1513, being slain at the battle
> of Flodden. His widow was living 14 December 1518. [CP 5:105]
> Always optimistic--Dave
Get your own FREE, personal Netscape Webmail account today at http://webmail.netscape.com/
|Campbell of Loudoun (was: Odp: Re: CAMPBELL, Geo, Kt., of Loudon) by (John Ravilious)|