GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2002-09 > 1031696626

From: "Rosie Bevan" <>
Subject: Re: Stuteville of Cottingham
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 10:23:46 +1200

Dear Bryant

For clarity's sake I'm responding to your questions at the head of the
message.

There were two Sybil de Valoignes living around the same time and very
likely to be related. Possibly aunt and niece, in that Sibyl the elder was
probably Philip de Valoigne's sister.

As you note Gunnora was daughter of Sibyl de Valoignes and Ralph d'Aubigny.
Gunnora married Nicholas de Stuteville, and Nicholas' son (Gunnora's
stepson), Robert, married Sibyl de Valoignes, daughter of Philip Valoignes.
Philip's son and heir, William, was married to Lora daughter of Saer de
Quincy, Earl of Winchester in whose wardship young Eustace de Stuteville was
placed.

To demonstrate the relationships from different angles we have it thus:

1.Sybil de Valoignes
+ Ralph d'Aubigny
2.Gunnora d'Aubigny
+ Nicholas de Stuteville
3.Eustace de Stuteville

1.Nicholas de Stuteville
+1.NN
2.Robert de Stuteville
+ Sibyl de Valoignes, dau. Philip Valoignes
3.Eustace de Valoignes whose custody was awarded to Saer de
Quincy.
+ 2.Gunnora d'Aubigny

1. Philip de Valoignes, Chamberlain of Scotland, son of Roger de Valoignes
and Agnes de Vescy
2.William de Valoignes
+ Lora de Quincy, dau. Saer de Quincy
2.Sybil de Valoignes
+ Robert de Stuteville
3.Eustace de Valoignes in custody of Saer de Quincy

Charles Clay believed the placement of Dervorguilla, wife of Nicholas de
Stuteville, as daughter of Alan of Galloway is chronologically unlikely, but
does not expound upon it in EYC. He wrote a paper on this - "Two
Dervorguillas" in Eng. Hist. Review, lxv (1950), pp. 89-91 which I have not
read.

Examining this issue, at the death of Nicholas de Stuteville in 1233, he and
Dervorguilla had a daughter, Joan, already married, who produced her first
born son around 1238 (38 in 1276). That would make Joan born before 1223 and
thus Devorguilla, her mother born before 1208. In all probability earlier
than this - before 1204. Roland de Galloway died in 1200, so if her father,
she would have to had been born before 1201. At the inquisitions taken
after death of Dervorguilla in 1290, John Baliol her youngest son and heir
is stated, to be "aged 40 at the Feast of St Michael last" and "aged 35".
[CIPM ii no. 771].(CP I 385 appears to be in error in an unsourced statement
saying he was born in 1240). The first date puts his birth in 1249, the
second in 1255. This does not take into consideration the fact that she also
had five daughters, as well as the three sons, who may have been born after
her third son. For this to be the same Dervorguilla who produced Nicholas
Stuteville's daughters in the early 1220s and John Balliol's children in the
late 1230-50s, and died in 1290, it would mean a period of childbearing
spanning over 30 years and a death in her late 80s. While not impossible, it
would be unusual for the time.

The Chronicle of Melrose has Dervorguilla married to Baliol in 1223 (Alan
was married to Margaret of Huntingdon in 1209), which would conflict with
the marriage of Dervorguilla and Nicholas de Stuteville. However such
chronicles should be judged in the context in which they were written.

If anyone has access to the above mentioned paper, I would be interested in
Clay's analysis.

I'm afraid I have no answers as to William Mastac's relationship to the
king.

Hope this has not muddied the waters excessively.

Cheers

Rosie