GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2003-06 > 1056995937

From: "John Higgins" <>
Subject: RE: Frances Jennings (and Sarah ancestor of Prince William)
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 10:58:57 -0700

A couple of additional notes:

A pedigree of Braybrooke in MGH, 3rd series, 3:242 says #35, the 1st wife of
Henry Brounker, was Elizabeth (not Ursula) Braybrooke. Her parents are
shown as James Braybrooke of Suffolk (will dated 19.II.1508, proved
28.III.1509) and Margery Woodcock of Shinfield, Berks (will dated 8.V.1523,
proved 19.VI.1523), who was previously m. to Thomas Humfrey and was
subsequently m. to Richared Harcourt who d. before 1523. No ancestry is
given for these parents. (The source in the Rowlett/Jennings article for
the two wives of Henry Brounker both being named Ursula is the 1623
Visitation of Wiltshire - likely either in error or miscopied).

#37, Ursula Yate is noted in the 1623 Visitation of Berkshire (HSP 56:148)
to be dau. of John Yate of Charney and later Lyford by his 2nd wife Anne,
dau. of Oliver Hyde of South Denchworth.

Also a note on Leo's original ancestry list: #13, Anne Lyte Howard, wife of
Sir William Thornhurst, is shown as dau. of Charles Lyte Howard and Roberta
Webb and gdau. of the 1st Viscount Howard of Bindon, apparently a pedigree
in BEP (sub Howard of Bindon). But in the CP 12.2:569 article on Mildmay
Fane, 2nd Earl of Westmorland, whose wife was Grace, dau. of Sir William
Thornhurst and Anne, Anne is specifically said to be dau., not gdau., of the
1st Viscount Howard of Bindon. I suspect that CP is right - can anyone
confirm this?

John Higgins

"Who begot whom is a most amusing kind of hunting" - Horace Walpole

This thread: