GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2005-08 > 1125174171

From: "Ginny Wagner" <>
Subject: RE: Heraldic "flexibility"
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 15:22:51 -0500

Thank you very much, Richard. Although the manuscript with the
miniature .gifs seems to have directory problems (and I wasn't able to
enjoy the various shields, etc.), thanks to your excellent direction,
I was able to find the term fetter lock.

The rounded shackbolt/fetterlock of the Shakerly family, as described,
seems quite similar to the appearance of the arms reproduced in the
front of my fifty-year-old genealogy book (Sir Hugh de Gorham is "Gu.
three shack bolts conjoined in fess or.") with shack bolts, or fetter
locks, of more an oval shape than the bolted fetter lock.

I also obtained a copy of Reverend George Cornelius Gorham's arms;
they, too, have three "bolted, conjoined, fetter locks". As well,
Thomas de Gorham, a Templar to Richard II, had the three conjoined,
bolted fetter locks. Sir Hugh's crest was a Griffin's head couped,
wings displayed or; motto, "Ready and Faithful".

Sir Hugh was ca. 1324, Thomas ca. 1380, George Cornelius ca. 1850.
The three lions rampant were of William de Gorram, Lord of Tanniere
and Templar, ca. 1198 and Robert de Gorham, living 1235, also of
Tanniere in Maine.

A distant cousin, a 32 degree Mason, suggested the three conjoined
were representative of the Trinity, three in one. Of course, the
prisoner idea can certainly be expanded to represent adherent to or
being totally of the Faith. He also sent me a document with a picture
of another coat of arms that wasn't very well footnoted and had no
name to reference of "Gules three shackle bolts conjoined in fesse
point or. Crest: A sword in pole supporting on he point a garland
of laurel proper." It is similar to the one for Sir Hugh in that
there is a helm atop and greenery around but rather than a griffin, it
has a sword in pole with a garland atop; the shackle bolts have the
bolts and are conjoined in a horizontal line with the rounded edges up
whereas the Sir Hugh shackle bolts are like three oval rings joined
horizontally by the ovals. The unnamed coat of arms is joined along a
straight line horizontally with the straight edges joined and
semicircles standing up, unjoined, from the straight bolts.

If ready and faithful were looked at as beholden to a Supreme power
rather than an earthly one; ready for the second coming and full of
faith, carries a very strong literal as well as symbolic meaning. In
light of the family's history ... one of service to the Church ... it
all comes together.

Guess I'll take a look at the Shakerly family and see if I can learn a
bit about them since they have a similar coat of arms.

Thank you so much for your help with this. ;-) Ginny

This thread: