GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2006-01 > 1136185903

From: "Douglas Richardson" <>
Subject: C.P. Addition: Parentage of Hubert de Burgh, Earl of Kent
Date: 1 Jan 2006 23:11:43 -0800

Dear Adrian ~

Thank you for your good post. Much appreciated.

If I understand the implications of an ancient document correctly, it
appears that Clarence Ellis' biography of Earl Hubert de Burgh has the
name of Earl Hubert's mother in error. I show that Hubert de Burgh's
mother was actually _____ Pouchard, daughter and evidently co-heiress
of John Pouchard, son and heir of William Pouchard, Knt., of Brunham,
Norfolk.

The evidence for Earl Hubert's mother's family is recorded in the
published account of the foundation of Creake Hospital and Abbey in
Norfolk, which information is found in the book, A.L. Bedingfield, ed.,
A Cartulary of Creak Abbey (Norfolk Rec. Soc. 35 (1936): 1-2.

This account of the foundation of Creake Abbey reads as follows:

In the year of the Incarnartion of our Lord Jesus Christ 1206, a little
church was founded in the honour of the sublime Birhom Mary on the site
of some 40 acres of uncultivated, endowed land, pasture and measure,
called Lingerescroft, lying jointly in Brunham next Creyk' on either
side of the highway. On this account the name of Saint Mary of the
Meadows between Crek and Brunham was chosen by a certain lord, Robert
de Nerford, a generous man, who was married to the well-born lady
Alice, daughter of John Pouchard, the son of William Pouchard, knight
... Subsequently, Robert de Nerford, who had been appointed Governor of
Dover Castle by Lord Hubert de Burgh, then Justiciar and Regent of the
realm, on obtaining a naval victory on Saint Batholomew's Day over the
French who had attacked the English, had, at the desire and agreement
of this pious woman, Lady Alice, built a chapel in honour of St.
Bartholomew the Apostle with an hospital for 13 paupers seeking refuge
there at any time ... In 1221 this chapel and all the endowed land was
dedicated by Geoffrey, Bishop of Ely, suffragan of Bishop Pandulph,
nephew of Lady Alice and brother of Hubert de Burgh." END OF QUOTE.

As we see above, Earl Hubert be Burgh's brother, Geoffrey, Bishop of
Ely, is called nephew of Lady Alice Pouchard, wife of Sir Robert de
Nerford. If so, it would appear that Earl Hubert's mother was the
sister of Lady Alice Pouchard.

There are various charters recorded in the published Creake Abbey
cartulary issued by Alice Pouchard, her husband, Robert de Nerford,
Knt., and by their son and heir, Richard de Nerford, Knt. Most of the
charters have no witnesses, although I see one on pp. 3-4 issued by
Alice Pouchard in the period, c. 1225-1230, is witnessed by John de
Burgo and Reymund de Burgo. I also note another charter on pg. 4 also
dated c. 1225-1230 in which Alice Pouchard gave the patronage of a
moiety share of the church of All Saints at Wreningham, Norfolk, of
which she states she is the "rightful patron." By this, I judge that
the half share of the advowson of Wreningham was part of Alice's
Pouchard inheritance. If this is correct, presumably the other half
share of the Wreningham advowson fell to her sister's son and heir,
Earl Hubert de Burgh.

At a later date, c. 1255-1265, I note that Earl Hubert de Burgh's son
and heir, Sir John de Burgh, granted Creake Abbey 20 shillings of rent
in Brunham, Norfolk (see pp. 126, 129). If correct, then it would
appear the Brunham, Norfolk was also part of the Pouchard inheritance.
We know from the foundation charter cited in part above (pp. 1-2) and
from another charter (pg. 9) that Sir William Pouchard, grandfather of
Alice (Pouchard) de Nerford, obtained 40 acres of lands in
Lingerescroft in Brunham from East Acre Priory, which property became
the first site of the church of Creake Abbey in 1206. The editor dates
Sir William Pouchard's acquisition of the original 40 acres in Brunham
as being c. 1200-1205, but this date is surely much, much too late.
If Sir William Pouchard was Earl Hubert de Burgh's great-grandfather,
he would have been active in the reign of King Stephen back in the
1130's-1140's, not c. 1200.

While this matter needs further research, I believe that the Creake
Abbey material provides a clear indication that Earl Hubert de Burgh's
mother was a Pouchard by birth.

For interest's sake, the following is a list of the numerous 17th
Century New World immigrants who descend from Earl Hubert de Burgh:

1. Elizabeth Alsop.

2. William Asfordby.

3. William Bladen.

4. George & Nehemiah Blakiston.

5. Thomas Bressey.

6. Elizabeth Butler.

7. Francis Dade.

8. William Farrer.

9. Elizabeth & John Harleston.

10. Anne Humphrey.

11. Gabriel, Roger & Sarah Ludlow.

12. Simon Lynde.

13. Anne, Elizabeth & John Mansfield.

14. John Oxenbridge.

15. Herbert Pelham.

16. William Skepper.

17. John Stockman.

18. John West.

Website: www.royalancestry.net

wrote:
< I believe that Clarence Ellis' book 'Hubert de Burgh, A Study in
Constancy'
< concluded that his father was perhaps a Walter de Burgh (d bfr 1180),
a small
< holder in Bough next Ayleham, Norfolk by Alice (d bfr 1230, bur
Walsingham).
<
< Adrian

This thread: