GEN-MEDIEVAL-L Archives

Archiver > GEN-MEDIEVAL > 2011-03 > 1301187143

From: Lyn Hansch <>
Subject: Re: Bruce of Earlshall and Stewart of Rosyth
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 17:52:23 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 27, 2:29 am, wrote:
> I have two problems with two rather large families!
>
> Andrew Balfour, 2nd laird of Munquhanny, +before 1592, married Janet Bruce,
>  a daughter of sir Alexander Bruce, 1st laird of Earlhall. this latter
> gentleman's ancestry is problematic. the Baronage of Scotland and Fife both
> state that he was a son of Sir William Bruce of Escariot. One source
> identifies  his wife as Janet Stewart of Craigiehall, daughter of John and Douglas
> identifies his wife as Janet Stewart, daughter of David 3rd Laird of Rosyth -
>  Can anyone confuse me more or set me straight?
>
> Peter ( de Loriol)

Hi Peter,
You too have the confusing side of the Bruce and Stewart tree. These
are also my Ancestors. Janet who married Andrew Balfour was the sister
of Agnes Bruce who married John Traill this is my lineage.

I believe by reading the ancient books on the internet that Sir
Alexander Bruce was the son of Sir Alexander Bruce of Airth & Janet
Forrester. This Alexander acquired the lands from William Monnypenny
in exchange for his lands in France. He received the lands of Leuchar
in 1495. As he died in 1504 the year of the birth of Agnes Bruce, the
building of Earlshall was given to his only male heir William Bruce
born 1486 died 1584 married Margaret Meldrum Heiress of Seggie.

To make it clear this is the line

1. Sir Robert Bruce 2nd Baron of Clackmannan & Isobel Stewart daughter
of Sir Robert Stewart of Durrisdeer & Shambothy
2. Edward Bruce married Agnes Airth daughter of Sir William Airth.
3. Sir Robert Bruce of Airth born 1396 died 1450 married Janet
Livingstone born 1400 died 1439
4. Sir Alexander Bruce of Airth born abt 1424 died 1488 married Janet
Forrester of Torwood
5. Sir Alexander Bruce of Airth & 1st of Earlshall born abt 1462 died
1504 married Janet Stewart born 1465 daughter of Sir David Stewart of
Rosyth. (This is what I believe)
6. Janet Bruce was the fourth child and third daughter born about 1500
married Andrew Balfour the ward of Janet Bruce nee Stewart.
I found this whilst researching

". Andrew Balfour 2nd Baron of Munquhanny, being a child at the death
of his father, the Casualty of his marriage was given by James IV to
Patrick Mersar and Isabel, Lady Aldie, his spouse 29 January 1509 -
10. As he was still minor at the death of his grandfather his wardship
was given by the Regent to Janet daughter of Sir David Stewart of
Rosyth and widow of Sir Alexander Bruce of Earlshall 27 May 1517. He
married Janet Bruce, daughter of his guardian and settled upon her his
lands of Strathor 3 September 1530. After an active life of political
and warlike exertion and risk, he died circa 1583 - 4 leaving a large
family."

>From what I gather the son William Monnypenny who exchanged his land
at Leuchars of Alexander's land in France is the reason he named his
son William. A lot of people think it was because William was his
father.
There is a lot of the Bruce lineage in Google books " Full text of
"The Bruces of Airth and their cadets" . This is the best.
Cheers Lyn from Australia

This thread: