GENANZ-L Archives

Archiver > GENANZ > 1999-10 > 0940158693

From: "Cyril Chapman" <>
Subject: Re: How does the cousin thing work?
Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 12:11:33 +0100

First cousins have common grandparents, second cousins have common
great-grandparents, third cousins have common
great-great-grandparents........

It gets more complicated if the common relatives are grandparents to one,
and great-grandparents to the other. They are then first cousins once
removed. So one can have second cousins once removed, twice removed etc.

Cyril Chapman
Michael Dakin <> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> Would someone with a gift for simple explanations tell me how the cousin
> things works, please?
>
> My dear old dead-for-many-years aunt used to rattle off a list of cousins
> and suffix each one with their status - 1st, 2nd, 3rd - which I never
> followed, and I became more confused by adding things like 'once removed'.
>
> Perhaps there is logic in it, but danged if I could follow it!
>
> So that I don't appear entirely thick, I do know what a first cousin is,
so
> there's a place to start!
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael
> In sunny Tauranga NZ
> Researching DAKIN, DIAL, FARRELL, FLACK, LAMBE, TALBOT, WERTHEIMER

This thread: