From: "Orin R. Wells" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] A message from a skeptic
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 12:50:22 -0800

At 08:29 PM 1/23/01 +0000, Alan Savin wrote:

>>Richard Pence's message posted to soc.genealogy.methods:

>>And, thirdly, it seems to me if the technology does take us to the
>>level where we can determine whether this person or that person was
>>an ancestor of a given person then we are in the world of a new
>>science that is emphatically NOT genealogy.
>
>But would it not still fit most people's defintion of genealogy, and
>therefore still is?

I come down on the side of Alan here. Any method of showing the
relationship between members of one generation and another certainly
contributes to the overall genealogical solution and it is the study of
these relationships that is genealogy, not the specific techniques employed.

Orin R. Wells
Wells Family Research Association
P. O. Box 5427
Kent, Washington 98064-5427
<>
http://www.rootsweb.com/~wellsfam/wfrahome.html
Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

This thread: