From: Wanda Shepherd <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA Project
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 22:07:57 -0500

Hi,

I am in total agreement. I want to know who my birth parents are. Know my
mother, but not my father. Also, my grandmother, who raised me was an Osborne,
from Menifee co. Ky. I have corresponded with Nancy Sparks and it's spooky how we
have the same symptoms even from childhood. I have been misdianosed, I think. Have
already talked to my doctor and he is very interested and asked for any info I
can give him. I've taken the liberty to copy info for my doctor about FMF. Hope
that is o.k. I am almost sure I am of Melungeon descent. I don't care what I would
find, I just want to know. If you are having any testing done within 100 miles of
Chillicothe, would you please let me know? I'd drive farther than that, even, to
have my DNA done. Even if the results are a few years coming. Sincerely, Wanda
Brewer Shepherd

"Orin R. Wells" wrote:

> At 09:03 AM 2/3/01 -0500, Ann Turner wrote:
> >You might be surprised by the number of posts from people who frankly say
> they don't want
> to know. They've invested a great deal of time and effort in tracing a
> certain line, often their own surname line. They feel it's part of their
> identity and they don't want to take the risk of turning up contrary evidence.
>
> While I find this metality totally contrary to the goals of genealogical
> and historical research, I too have run into it in various ways. One is
> where someone has mistakenly identified a wrong or non-existent ancestor in
> their tree and do not even want to discuss the facts that show the
> information to be wrong. "They have done THEIR research. End of the
> story". I am sure we have all heard stories of how some researcher has
> actually destroyed public records to hide the evidence that they had an
> illigimate ancestor somewhere in their tree. Oh, the shame of it all.
>
> With DNA we run the distinct chance that in a genealogy related project we
> WILL find cases where not only ancestors were not "ancestors" but that
> living persons do not have the parent they think they do. Personally, I
> would want to find out and I am of a nature that, if my parents were
> living, I would not be stressed. Now how a husband would react to learning
> "his" child was not really his one can not predict.
>
> In the case of the Wells study, I have already been alerted to this
> potential for problem. I intend to advise anyone participating in our
> study that they have to be prepared for this sort of eventuality before
> they get into the project. If they are at all nervous about this, I would
> rather they not participate.
>
> Orin R. Wells
> Wells Family Research Association
> P. O. Box 5427
> Kent, Washington 98064-5427
> <>
> http://www.rootsweb.com/~wellsfam/wfrahome.html
> Subscribe to the "Wells-L" list on RootsWeb

> Add as many as 10 Good Years To Your Life
> If you know how to reduce these risks.
> http://www.thirdage.com/health/wecare/hearthealth/index.html

This thread: