From: "Allan S. Gleason" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Brigham Young's on the Trail of DNA Tales.
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 22:14:27 -0700

Well, Ruth, my understanding of this is that in about five years or so
when they have digested all of this world's blood including yours they
will be able to relate to you a time and place where your DNA came from
way back in history after figuring out its relationship to everyone
else's blood. Whether you would have to give blood again to find out OR
whether they actually maintain a record of you, I don't know, but I
suspect and hope that they would be kind enough to keep track of you
somehow.

For security reasons in this miserably hyper paranoid world, they will
NOT give names but only dates and places so that in combination with
your own genealogy it will provide leads such as "Oh! my gosh! My
ancestors came from Boston? and I always thought they came from
Nashville in 1635!

Allan

Ruth Cattles Cottrell wrote:

> Does all this mean that sometime in the future those of us who have
> contributed blood to the Brigham Young study will actually be able to see
> our own information? I was not given any type of code # when I gave blood
> last year in Dallas. I understood at the time that we would not be able to
> identify our own information.
>
> Anyone have any info on how this will work?
>
> Thx,
> Ruth
>
> > This is VERY interesting. If any of you have problems getting the
> > article let me know, I copied it. Have just emailed my SC person at BYU
> > to verify this surprising event but the article claims they are using
> > 250 markers!
> >
> > Maybe this is why they insist upon blood!
> >
> > Remember my note not to standardize too soon and suggested maybe
> > hundreds of markers for better resolution????? But then, it could have
> > been a typo - - - Oh well.
> > Allan

> Visit Ancestry's Library - The best collection of family history
> learning and how-to articles on the Internet.
> http://www.ancestry.com/learn/library

This thread: