From: "John F. Chandler" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Vikings series on The Learning Channel
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 18:51 EST

Don wrote:
>I noticed that the link to the BBC Blood of Viking DNA Results mentions
"Ancient
> Briton(Celt)" DNA several times. I was under the impression that all "Celtic
> results" were Hg1, so it is impossible to distinguish DNA differences between
> the several Celtic populations,

That's basically correct. Note, by the way, that DNA breaks down over
time -- the ancient Y DNA patterns are not available for study and can
only be inferred from results obtained from the presumed modern
descendants. Thus, it would be safer to talk only about the DNA that is
actually observed.

John Chandler

This thread: