From: "John F. Chandler" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] What exactly am I looking at?
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 13:47 EST

Jeff wrote:
> I recently got back my 12 marker test from FTDNA.
>
> I understand that the laboratory compares the test results and
> notifies me of a match, and I assume any close or near matches.
>
> The website for my test indicates ONE "match" if there was a set of
> "near" matches, how would I find them?

A miss is as good as a mile. Unless your haplotype is extremely rare,
there will be people out there who nearly match you but are completely
unrelated as far as genealogical time frames are concerned. Even if
you are desperate to find cousins, this is not the place to look.

> (Now that I have the Code results how do I read them, and what does
> each one MEAN?)

They mean NOTHING. These are simply the lengths of certain DNA segments
that have no function. Their only virtue is that the lengths can vary
from person to person. If you match and have other reasons to think
you are related, then you probably ARE related. If you nearly match,
and are SURE you are related, then you have identified a likely mutation.
If you nearly match and only suspect you might be related, then you need
to get busy and do research to find PROOF that you are indeed related.
In a nutshell, that's how all the DNA studies operate.

John Chandler

This thread: