From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: FW: [DNA] DNAPrint Test: Validation Studies- Koreans (Hangook)
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 19:41:24 -0400

Wow! Big words. Do you mean like "in-breeding" and "sexual isolation"
terms which were thrown out to describe my PA German area, and how we
married within our own kind. Those terms I must admit hurt a little bit
when I read them. Just joking. :-) I can take it. But I do like your
bigger, 50 cent words better. :-)

The PA Germans married within their own kind up to about WWII. Prior to
the early 1900's, marrying someone outside the cultural group and/or the
Protestant religion was a very big taboo in this area when I was young,
and it still was the talk of gossip when I married a Catholic girl of
Slavic background. Some of my relatives wouldn't even come to the

And as you say the Koreas did that too. And it was a taboo for them to
marry someone not of their population group. The difference is the size
of the population group. I guess the PA Germans at most numbered about 1
million people. And Korea is a much bigger group, but still isolated.

I hope we leave out that "sexually isolated" and "in-breeding" phrases.
I don't like them. :-)

Jeff Scism wrote:
> I am interested in how a xenophobic homogenous society (such as
> Korea) compares to a society with a wider base of dna input. It
> seems that socilly speaking from my experience up until the Korean
> war, that inter group marriages were tabu in korea, and the genetic
> structure of the Han should show this. Do Korean's dna results
> segregate themselves into a specific class or do they range over the
> regional average? Would this imposed isolationism be a flag (stick
> out) in the y-chromosome tests used in genealogy studies?
> --
> Jeffery Scism, IBSSG
> Links to my Homepages:
> Use the link below to join the S250 DNA project and order your DNA
> test.
> "These cowards have no morals. They have no shame about lying"
> Mohammed Saeed al-Sahaf AKA "Baghdad Bob"
> To join and access our 1.2 billion online genealogy records, go to:

This thread: