From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNAPrint Test: Validation Studies
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 22:39:20 -0400

Kay,

I agree, the more generations on the chart which supports the population
group assertion the better. I have have an 8-15 generations chart
depending on which branch of the tree I'm going back on. All PA German,
German, Swiss, French Huguenot, a one English lady. But a 5 generation
chart supporting a statement of self-declaration that they are a member
of a particular population group would be the minimum, and a lot better
than just the declaration all by itself, which is how they did it in the
sample group we were discussing. And 5 generations fits nicely on an 8
1/2 x 11 piece of paper. :-) But if they could get 100 randomly
selected and self-designated "Europeans" with a supporting 8 generation
chart, yes that would be even better. But the deeper one would want the
chart the harder it would be to find 100 random people to volunteer who
could qualify.

Charles

Kay Martin wrote:

> Charles, I have to comment. While I agree with you that some supporting documentation would be a good thing, five generations might not be nearly enough. I can take our Martin's back to Henry Martin, d. 1748 - the 8th generation back from my husband. We "think" our Martin's were English, but I put "unknown" down when I ordered my husband's test. I have no proof that they were from England and didn't want to make that statement. I can go back at least five generations on all of his lines and don't know where any of them originated.

This thread: