From: "David Willis" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b, Surnames, and Ancient Origins
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2003 16:46:11 -0800

David,

I have been trying to figure out where my English Willis ancestors came
from, and I think they may also have come to England from Normandy. My
thinking is based on the following three points.

(1) Y-chromosome. Mine is Haplogroup I (as in Idaho), which indicates
Scandinavian deep ancestry. This does not require the deep level of
analysis that you had to do, which seems convincing.

(2) The name "Willis" (Willy's son) derives from the name William (as in
William the Conqueror). Seems like flimsy evidence, but at least it is
something. In your case, you have the Norman name "Faux."

(3) My Willis line has been traced to rural Wiltshire, England, mid-1500's.
Wiltshire is in the southern part of England. I recall a note you posted
some time back where you described a visit you conducted to your ancestral
town in England. Where was it located in England?

I would welcome comments or suggestions on this from you or anyone on this
list.

Dave Willis

This thread: