From: "Jack Goins" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNAPrint NA reported as EA
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 09:19:57 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Malcolm Dodd <>
To: <>
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2003 5:14 AM

> Hi Ray
> Good to hear from you. I am very pleased to discuss the lousy marketing of
> DNPrint and what their results truly mean.
> If my ancestry is Shawnee or Mohawk you say that "we know" that this can
> read East Asian. (By the way are the Shawnee or Mohawk results EA
> AND NA or just EA?).
>
> However I can only say that I have my parents 1942 marriage
> certificate and my 1945 birth certificate and baptismal
> certificate but that does not make
> the father named my biological father.

Hi Malcolm and list;
I will add this, My knowledge of DNA comes from my own 'self educated'
study. so I will leave the technical DNA arguments to others, but I do agree
most of the complaints concerning DNAPrint test results I have read may be
explained, or dismissed by Malcoms suggestion above "Do we really know" .

My grandfather told me and several others (1950) who were present which
included my parents that his grandmother Goins was 3/4 Indian and his
grandfather Goins was 1/2, although he never named the tribe I assumed it
was Cherokee. My mothers grandfather Reed said his gg grandfather Reed
was a full blood Cherokee. I have researched my families history and
genealogy for
several years and included them in my book (Melungeons And Other Pioneer
Families.)

My DNAPrint test results are 72% Indo-European, 28% Native American, 0%
African
and 0% East Asian. * Estimates have an error of +or - 2.5%.

This leaves me with several unanswered questions. If I have over 1/4 NA in
my DNA print test does it tell me it is from my last 10 generations? If so
which of the 1024 ancestors did it belong to? Ten generations is about
250-300 years so take that back to 1500 and I honestly don't know how anyone
could possibly "expect" what their DNA print is going to tell them. How can
the lab technicians determine EA and NA in one person's test but not be able
to distinguish the two? I do know that grandpa Goins grandmothers,
brothers, sisters, cousins etc, and distant relatives filed over 1000
Cherokee Indian Applications. This strongly suggest he was my grandfather
by blood, but does it actually prove it. Did these NA results come from this
source or some other unknown source? Jack

This thread: