From: David Faux <>
Subject: [DNA] Oxford Ancestors Y Chromosome Database
Date: Sun, 2 Nov 2003 15:16:44 -0800 (PST)

Today I received an e-mail from OA informing me that I could change my password to their Y database by clicking on a link. First, although I had heard that OA was working on a database, I had never seen it (although being one of their very early customers). I followed the instructions and dutifully changed my password (which is great since I had no clue as to what the original one was). Then came up a window asking for "customer number". Like I keep this information at my fingertips. Actually I came to the "brilliant" conclusion that the customer number would be the same number as my certificate - which I have framed on my wall. Despite offering only 10 markers, the certificate they send is very colorful and suitable for framing.............. Anyway, I was correct and I was then allowed access to their database.

I have 15 exact matches (for 10 markers). I tried my uncle's scores from FTDNA (7 of the 10 are the same) - he had no matches. Information provided includes the country of residence of the matching customer, as well as their deepest known paternal ancestry. No surnames are included. Twas no surprise to learn that I matched mostly those of Irish, English, and Scottish ancestry - since those were the countries where most of the customers resided. In other words, trying to be kind, the database is not particularly useful for my purposes. Their customer base is primarily the UK - so having matches there is not informative (there are only 10 markers so I would expect a few exact matches with an R1b haplotype). Until they have a wider representation from Europe, let alone the rest of the world, I am not quite sure why I should take this database seriously - hummm, except perhaps to a limited degree for my Shetland Islands Y-DNA Project.

David F.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: