From: Amelia <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] DNAPrint - Full blood indigenous population
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 12:28:16 -0800

Speak for your own tribe. There are still many people on tribal enrollment
rolls (alive today) that are referred to as "4/4" of that tribe. People
listed as 4/4 Native American on official tribal rolls *are* considered
"full-blood" (more common to see today would be 1/2 Gros Ventre, 5/8 Lower
Elwha S'Klallam, and 3/8 Makah - thank goodness for all-Indian basketball
tournaments, eh??). There are still many families that can claim 4/4 Navajo.

Now, in all these instances, most records do not go back 400 years, so
there's no telling how many Celts, Vikings, Spaniards, or French might be
hiding in the family tree back there. That does not make modern Native
Americans any less "Indian"... it does not give rise to the termination of
treaties and reservations. There is still much resistance to complete
"assimilation" as the government would like to see.

At 08:24 AM 11/3/2003 +0000, you wrote:
><As to testing "full - blood" Mohawks - there is no such entity.>
>
>A test company seems to think there are "full-blooded" indigenous
>populations, I wonder if they have found any Mohawks?
>
>See -
>Native American DNA Verification Testing
>http://www.genetree.com/product/native-american-test.asp
>Genetic Studies conducted on full-blooded indigenous populations from North,
>Central, and South America (the New World) has identified a limited number
>of shared genetic markers. These markers have very specific modes of
>inheritance and are relatively unique to populations with Native American
>Ancestry. There are 2 types of inheritance pattern categories that these
>markers follow, either a directly paternal linkage (i.e.,
>male-to-male-to-male, etc.) or a directly maternal linkage (i.e.,
>female-to-all her children.

This thread: