From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNAPrint NA reported as EA
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 14:22:50 -0800 (PST)

Hello Ray:

Don't hold your breath for the folks at DNAPrint to do any sort of mass screening of groups of Native Americans (mixed, or unmixed) in the near future. It is my understanding that first we are to have made available a Version 2.5 test with about 180 SNP markers (they use about 71 now). At one time they argued that 30 markers would make no difference from 71 in terms of results. I, and may others, disagreed. They seem to have come around to agreeing with us - the customers whose science background would allow them to argue convincingly with the company staff scientists and statisticians. Our only hope is that Version 3.0 will include a much expanded sample size and breadth - but I don't see this on the immediate horizon. When the mood strikes I will ask them for a timetable on all these things - perhaps someone else on the List would like to jump the gun here.

David F.

Raymond Whritenour <> wrote:
David:

Close. The Mohawk descendant about whom I was writing, who tested as
"East Asian," but not "Native American," is your uncle, Dale Williamson.
Charles's DNAPrint Log states that he has ONLY "IE" and "NA"
ancestry--so HIS "EA" percentage could not have come from "East Asian"
ancestors--in modern times.

I take your point about "full-blood" Mohawks, but testing
"majority-ancestry-Mohawk" people would reveal, just as well, whether or
not Mohawks test as "EA" or "NA" or both--or neither.

Ray Whritenour

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: