From: "DAVID FARMER" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] R1b, Surnames, and Ancient Origins
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 12:08:00 -0600

Isn't Vaux yet another varient of Fawkes?

David Farmer

>>> 11/04/03 11:04AM >>>
Hello Roberta and all:

Gee, such interest in my surname. Actually the answer to your proposal below is quite simple. Faux (an arbirtary spelling where Fawkes is the preferred spelling in Yorkshire) came down from Falke in the 1300s in Suffolk to Falkes to Faulkes to Faux (by 1600)across the County line in Norfolk. The name is a font name meaning "falcon" in old Norman French. The long and the short is that who knows if by some chance the Falk in Suffolk at the time of the Domesday Book is my ancestor. It would only be proximity that would lead me to accept this hypothesis. What is more interesting now is to find out whether the many Fauxes who are Black (residing in South Africa, and Belize where the name is more common than Smith) have the same Y-chromosome signature as myself, other Faux lines in England, or do not share a common heritage in the male line. Getting Fauxes of any persuasion to sign up for my surname project has been ponderously slow......................I can only envy Doug!
Mumma
and others at their success in this regard.

David F.

wrote:
This is probably a stupid question/commentary - but here goes anyway.

Given that David has one listing in the Domesday book, and only one
apparently, it would appear that the rest of the Faux male line was
doing something else and not listed in the book. Given the English
inheritance customs (laws?), the eldest son got everything and the rest
- either nothing or something else not land. Where did these "others"
go and what did they do for a living? Did they do to the cities and
become the butcher, baker and candlestick maker? Did they live on the
land and work it?

<clipped here>

www.davidkfaux.org