Subject: Re: [DNA] Questions
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:33:54 -0500 (EST)

Pat wrote:
> I did the 25 marker FTDNA T-DNA test and the report I received
> "suggests" that I belong to Haplogroup I.
>
> In fact, the reported Haplogroup mutation distribution contains
> almost nothing but "I" with a few I1a2 and I1b, but not a single R1b
> in the bunch. What can I do with this info?

Mostly, you can file it away.

> I know it supposedly
> indicates "Viking" but what does that imply?

That supposition is simply wrong. The BBC "Blood of the Vikings"
project started out with that supposition, but discovered it was
not true. Instead of changing the name of the project (out of the
question), they just changed some fine print -- haplogroup I in
Britain indicates "invaders" (Anglo-Saxons or Vikings) as opposed
to Celts. Of course, that applies only to the strictly paternal
line, so your "roots" are ultimately much more complicated.

> If I eventually match
> 24/25 or 25/25 with another Oliver, should I expect him to have the
> same Haplogroup assessment?

Yes. The assessment is based on the similarity of your result to those
of testees who have had the SNP test to determine haplogroup for sure.
Anyone who has nearly the same 12-marker result is likely to have the
same haplogroup assessment.

> What if we don't? I guess I was expecting
> more diversity in my haplogroup.

Well, some people do have near-matches in widely varying haplogroups,
but the whole basis for making the assessment based on STR results
is the fact that there is a reasonably good correlation between
STR and SNP markers.

John Chandler

This thread: