From: David Faux <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] R1b, Surnames, and Ancient Origins
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:54:19 -0800 (PST)

DAVID FARMER <> wrote:
Isn't Vaux yet another varient of Fawkes?

David Farmer

David, Mr. Tweedy, and others:

I am very humbled by all the interest in my surname. Rather a bit of an albatross at times. Always thought that life would have been so much easier if I had my mother's surname Williamson. However, for a genealogist it is a blessing. Surprisingly, the name was quite common in England at one time, and came in as many flavours as Baskins and Robins icecream (even Forkes, Folkes, etc. etc.- Vaux is a separate name, although confusingly Vauxhall is named for one John Faukes). I am only thankful that my lot were parsimonious and just changed the "kes" to an "x" retaining the phonetics, but exchanging three letters for one. Thus in Yorkshire you will find Fawkes (this spelling tied to heraldic armorial bearings) and Faux in Norfolk (where the family suffered a precipitous decline in their fortunes so as an alternative to starving travelled the world fighting the enemies of Queen Victoria and her predecessors). Faux seems to be winning out in the spelling wars - with more of!
this
spelling variation than any other. This is perhaps because many with the surname spelled this way were successful in the reproduction game, and have a common ancestry - which is a hypothesis that I am testing via DNA research.

David F.

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: