From: "Malcolm Dodd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Oppenheim's mates of Y
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 21:12:58 -0000

Hi Anne and others
The mates of Inos named Helena from 20,000 years ago and Velda 17,000 years
ago are found in found in Southern France and Northern Spain.
We would expect Inos with EU7 in the north of Lapland (Saami population) and
in Saxony (Germany)but not in French and Spanish Basque populations.(See the
Genetic Legacy by Semino and others Science Nov 2000)

Haplogroup I occurs at a frequency of 45% in Croatians, 24% in Poles and 18%
in Ukrainians, so it is not restricted to NW Europe. In the British Isles
though, it most probably came by means of the Germanic-speaking invaders.

This has nothing to do with Genealogy, it is anthropology. By the way the
FTDNA site says that "the I, I1, and I1a lineages are nearly completely
restricted to
northwestern Europe. These would most likely have been common within Viking
populations."
I have tried to get them to correct this for the last two years. Perhaps
they will adopt Dr Oppenheim's equally wrong geographical location for the
majority of we Inos males.
Malcolm