From: "Roanne Lyall" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA in Laci Peterson case
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:31:15 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: <>
To: <>
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 5:32 AM
Subject: [DNA] mtDNA in Laci Peterson case

> Last spring, we discussed the use of DNA to identify the bodies of Laci
> Peterson and the infant, which had washed ashore separately (search archives
for
> Laci). The case is now being tried, and mtDNA analysis is being used for a
hair
> found on Scott Peterson's boat.

The mtDNA of that hair matches the mtDNA sample taken from the mouth of
Laci's mother. Dr. Henry Lee (a consultant for the defense team) says the
statistical likelihood of someone other than Laci having the same mtDNA profile
is 1 in 122 as opposed to 1 in millions for nuclear DNA.

I find it hard to believe that 1 out of 122 random mt DNA samples would have the
same sequence as Laci and her mother.

Roanne

This thread: