Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA in Laci Peterson case [FBI database]
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:53:09 EST

In a message dated 11/04/03 1:30:48 PM Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

> I find it hard to believe that 1 out of 122 random mt DNA samples would
> have the
> same sequence as Laci and her mother.

Actually, it's quite possible, especially if Laci had the most common
haplotype for Haplogroup H (no mutations in HVR1 and the very common 263G in HVR2).
The minimal requirements for adding records to the FBI database are completion
of 16024-16365 for HVR1 and 73-340 for HVR2. I don't know whether their
current forensic work covers more bases.

Here's a link to another article with a defense witness claiming her
haplotype could be found in 1 out of 11. That IS about the frequency of the CRS in
some European populations when considering only HVR1 -- I don't know how much the
numbers drop when you add HVR2, though. List members who report multiple
low-resolution (HVR1) matches from FTDNA also report many fewer high-resolution
matches. But that could be an artefact if few people have ordered the
high-resolution test.

http://www.oaklandtribune.com/Stories/0,1413,82~1865~1743471,00.html#

Many haplotypes are much, much rarer than the CRS. In fact, list members have
shared haplotypes which don't show up in databases with thousands of records.

I downloaded the FBI database and software when it first came online about a
year and a half ago. I played around with it some, but I wasn't convinced I
was setting the parameters correctly, so I abandoned the effort. Maybe it's time
to revisit this, if some list members are feeling ambitious.

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/fsc/backissu/april2002/miller1.htm