From: "John Brooks" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Roanoke Settlers?
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2003 12:17:49 -0500

Please update me about whatever response you may get. I had an
ancestor, John Brooks, who was a settler of Roanoke Colony and now there
are many Brookses among the Pembroke Indians in Robeson County, North
Carolina. We are also interested in tracing any possible connection.
Thanks, John Brooks [516 North Blount Street, Raleigh, North Carolina
27604; email: ]

>>> 11/05/03 11:15AM >>>
I would like to ask if there is a way to have my Y-Chromosome test,
which is on file, compared to descendants of the settlers of Roanoke
Colony?I do not have a surname listed as one of those at Roanoke
Colony.

My surname is GEORGE.My Y-Chromosome matches only one other participant
on the George DNA site and we know our common ancestor.Our DNA does not
match any other participants of the George DNA Site many of whom show a
descent from an ancestor to whom records indicate that we descend.One of
my direct GEORGE male ancestors was probably adopted or otherwise not a
blood son of his father. This would be in the time period of about
1724-1730 in Lancaster County,Virginia.

My DNA Print indicates a Y-Chromosome test of 92% European ancestry and
8% Native American ancestry.I am curious as to whether my direct
ancestor who may have been adopted may have been a descendant of the
Roanoke settlers.

Any ideas will be very appreciated.

Greg George

records, go to: