From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Roanoke Setllers?
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:21:36 -0800 (PST)

All:

Please recall the conclusion of an Icelandic team who investigated the legends of blue eyed Inuit thought to be the remenants of the Norse Greenlanders who disappeared sometime in the early 1500s. This item was posted to this List a couple of weeks ago. The conclusion was that there is something in the mind of westerners, a romantic concept of lost colonies, lost tribes and the like, and that this fascination often leads to completely unfounded quests for their (non-existant) descendants. I plead guilty to this fascination......................

David F.

Raymond Whritenour <> wrote:
Greg:

I hate to be always negative, but there are no known descendants of the
Roanoke colony. We don't even know if there were any survivors.
The so-called "Lumbee Indians" of North Carolina claim Roanoke colony
survivors among their ancestors; but "George" is not a surname among
them.

An 8% NA MLE from DNAPrint is way too low to assume you have any NA
ancestry, at all. Only good old-fashioned standard genealogical
research will be capable of answering your questions, in my opinion.

Ray Whritenour

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: