From: David Faux <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Celtic haplogroups
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:33:40 -0800 (PST)

I think that this "abuse" of the DNA data by Oxford Ancestors infuriates many of us. There is no way they can in all honesty say anything about one's haplotype in relation to the "tribes" of Britain except that R1a is Norse Viking if found in someone whose ancestry is traced to the British Isles. Haplogroup I is one of the "invader" groups (gee, that's helpful) which could mean Anglo - Saxon or Danish Viking. With R1b, although found among the Norse Vikings, and the "invaders" (but at somewhat lower percentages) they are going to tell you that you are "Celtic", "Ancient Briton" or the like. This is plainly dishonest. Besides, they only measure 10 markers, and any conclusions they make about your "tribal affiliation" must be taken with a grain of salt in that they do not have a database with those who have had SNP testing to determine their haplogroup. They are in effect guessing. And it is going to cost you about $50USD in addition to the regular testing cost - which !
is
astronomical considering that you will only get results for 10 markers!

David F.

wrote:
Oxford Ancestors has told me that my Brown y-chromosome line is descended
from the ancient Celtic tribes of Britain. Are there any haplogroups connected
to the Celts? Connee

www.davidkfaux.org

This thread: